mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Exposure have a new light out

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Agreed, though it is pre-production. It just looks too big for the bars. I think its sheer size gives up one of Exposures two selling points - cable free and sensibly sized.

I think it's a mistake to apply their 'all-in-one' style for such a large, power hungry light unit. If they want to keep up with Lupine, which they could, they should sacrifice the 'We make cable free' marketing mantra for this model and take a more pragmatic approach.

They claim 1800lm from 6 (it can only be the XPG, can't it), where Lupine claim similar with seven. Full specs will confirm if they stick to previous form and claim 1Amp emitter output but only run at 700mA tops. If that can has six of their 2.3Ah 18650's inside, we'll know for sure.

Hey, they may surprise us by using LiPo, filling the battery chamber and finally run the LED's harder to match the marketing spiel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisterG
    ....Hey, they may surprise us by using LiPo, filling the battery chamber and finally run the LED's harder to match the marketing spiel.
    Whatever they do, the thing is Freeking Huge! You can't tell me THAT wouldn't shake around on your handlebars unless you use a ratchet wrench to snug in down. Also, notice that they have it mounted on a straight handlebar. The body of the light comes real close to hitting the stem. On my handlebars I don't think it would work. The only positive point I can see is that with the bigger optics they might get a very nice beam pattern.

I liked the previous offerings from Exposure. I like self-contained but the concept of self-containment has it's limitations. I think Exposure just crossed that line. Until the still-in-development nano-technology for batteries is released I think a 4 x 18650 S-contained unit is probably the limit.

Now with all this said, I don't know why they didn't go with a double 3up and make more of an oval light. I'm thinking two side by side 35mm triples with a body large enough for 8 x 18650's. Couple this with a mount that extends over the stem like the old Marwi's and you might have something.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Just need to mount a can of beer on the other side of the stem to balance the bike and we'll have a winner, plus a refreshing, although flat beverage when crossing the finish line. That''s got me thinking, the rumor is that poms drink flat warm beer... i to am a pom but been in aus for 30 years so drink cold fizzy beer

What does surprise me however is the lack of cooling fins, unless the bulk of aluminium acts as a suitable heat sink, or there keeping it under wraps to keep the spy's away. The all in 1 idea is great but for a 12 hour or the like, would you need to have 2 of these units or do Exposure have plug in packs like the cygolite's have?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    seems quite big and really heavy! would love to see the mount who holds this weight without shaking and braking!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72
    What does surprise me however is the lack of cooling fins, unless the bulk of aluminium acts as a suitable heat sink, or there keeping it under wraps to keep the spy's away. The all in 1 idea is great but for a 12 hour or the like, would you need to have 2 of these units or do Exposure have plug in packs like the cygolite's have?
    You're forgetting that it's generally pretty nippy over there. My first night ride in England involved sleet and near zero temps...and that was in March in the South West, where they go for their summer beach holidays. With external liquid cooling at 0C, who needs fins?

Most of the regular crew there used Exposures, it was almost a religion. Even when they broke down, all you would hear was that "oh but their service and warranty backup are just the best!". IMO the intergrated design is great..until a cell goes bad, or you forget to stick it on the charger as soon as you get home; then you wish you had an external battery so you could just swap in a spare.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Quote Originally Posted by dsut4392
    You're forgetting that it's generally pretty nippy over there. My first night ride in England involved sleet and near zero temps...and that was in March in the South West, where they go for their summer beach holidays. With external liquid cooling at 0C, who needs fins?
    Forgot about the cold. My night rides here in summer can be 30c ambient temp. Haven't seen snow in years.

I have to admit though the all in 1 idea is pretty good, but for myself I do like to have a selection of different battery capacities. Why have a 4000mA for a 2 hour ride when a 2200mA will do for example. In saying that however you can completely waterproof an all in one unit a lot easier than a light housing + cable connectors + battery.