Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Grizzly
    Reputation: alizbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    695

    eTrex Mounting Options

    I have an eTrex Vista HCx on the way, and was looking at ways to mount it. There are the standard Garmin made bike mounts, but they look...flimsy. Plus, I plan to still mount up the Edge, and I don't like a lot of clutter on my bars.

    Is there a way to mount the eTrex to the stem, similar to the way the Edge mounts?

    As far as body mounted options...I was thinking of a way to attach it to my pack so it still gets a good signal, but is easily accessible for then I need to look at the screen. Some sort of tether attached to a carabiner or something.

    Any ideas?
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

    "The only thing better than solitude, is society."

    ~Ed Abbey

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalenduro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    410
    im thinking some sort of arm band you could use on your forearm or upper arm

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,051
    Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    s there a way to mount the eTrex to the stem, similar to the way the Edge mounts?
    Take a look at the RAM Mount cradle for color ETrex devices. I should think that you could find some way to attach one of these cradles to your stem.

    I have a (similar looking) cradle for older (b/w) ETrex devices. I've always used it in conjuction with the handlebar mount and have never tried to attach it directly to the stem. The RAM mounts are a bit heavy, but work very well. (If you chose to use just the cradle, it would not weigh very much.)

  4. #4
    fuggansonofahowa
    Reputation: Hawseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    776
    That one won't fit the Vista...........this one will:

    Ram Mount for new Etrex

    Be sure and report on that bad-boy when you get it. I've been eyeing those things for some time.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,051

    Are you sure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman
    That one won't fit the Vista...........this one will:

    Ram Mount for new Etrex
    The link you posted is for the RAM-HOL-GA5. Part of the description for that product says: The Garmin eTrex Legend C (Color) and eTrex Vista C (Color) WILL NOT fit this cradle. These units require the RAM-HOL-GA16U cradle.

    On a related matter, I just noticed RAP-274. This mount ought to work with MTB handlebars and might even work with some stems. I don't think this mount was available when I purchased the mount for my old eTrex Vista. The mount that I bought was RAM-B-149Z or something very much like it. The RAP-274 looks to be quite a lot lighter and more compact that the mount that I have.

  6. #6
    Wandering not Lost
    Reputation: BThor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    I have an eTrex Vista HCx on the way, and was looking at ways to mount it. There are the standard Garmin made bike mounts, but they look...flimsy. Plus, I plan to still mount up the Edge, and I don't like a lot of clutter on my bars.

    Is there a way to mount the eTrex to the stem, similar to the way the Edge mounts?

    As far as body mounted options...I was thinking of a way to attach it to my pack so it still gets a good signal, but is easily accessible for then I need to look at the screen. Some sort of tether attached to a carabiner or something.

    Any ideas?
    so where did you buy your vista hcx?

  7. #7
    fuggansonofahowa
    Reputation: Hawseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    The link you posted is for the RAM-HOL-GA5. Part of the description for that product says: The Garmin eTrex Legend C (Color) and eTrex Vista C (Color) WILL NOT fit this cradle. These units require the RAM-HOL-GA16U cradle.

    On a related matter, I just noticed RAP-274. This mount ought to work with MTB handlebars and might even work with some stems. I don't think this mount was available when I purchased the mount for my old eTrex Vista. The mount that I bought was RAM-B-149Z or something very much like it. The RAP-274 looks to be quite a lot lighter and more compact that the mount that I have.
    Whoops...sorry bout that....My bad!

  8. #8
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,708
    I second the RAM mounts, and the RAP-274 base works well. I have this one for my 60CSx, and it mounts on the bars, but it tall enough to clear the Edge below it if you want to tuck them close to the center. Outside of a custom base with the RAM cradle, I have never found a stem mount for the larger GPSr, and believe me, I have Googled myself silly trying.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    579
    I have had very good luck with Garmin's eTrex Vista handlebar mount. However, my Vista is the older black and white version and is a bit smaller than the new Vista HCx (which I want badly) and therefore is probably a bit lighter.
    My Vista w/standard mount survived the entire KT this spring when I pre rode it over three days and has also survived several crashes.
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

  10. #10
    Grizzly
    Reputation: alizbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by BThor
    so where did you buy your vista hcx?
    PCNation.com

    The unit arrived today, it looks great. It is my first Mapping GPS, so I don't have any comparison's, but I am impressed so far. As I get a chance to put it through its paces I will let you all know what I think.

    I am guessing that to be truly a mapping GPS, I will need Garmin's Mapsource software?
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

    "The only thing better than solitude, is society."

    ~Ed Abbey

  11. #11
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,708
    Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    I am guessing that to be truly a mapping GPS, I will need Garmin's Mapsource software?
    You will want, at the least, Garmin's Topo for offroad use for yes, mapping. You might find Garmin's City Navigator useful if you want to use it in a vehicle, or if you do much road riding. I have maps of both loaded in my 60CSx, since I do some adventure rides on my CrossCheck involve pavement and dirt.

    What GPS have you been using till now?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

  12. #12
    Grizzly
    Reputation: alizbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    What GPS have you been using till now?
    Just the Edge.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

    "The only thing better than solitude, is society."

    ~Ed Abbey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •