mtbr member

The elves have been busy

First prototype of a new custom light. This one is just to test the optics and thermal managment so it is very rough, but the beam is AWESOME!

Currently muddy
    Jul 2008
    Wow, that looks great! XP-G, XP-E? Mixture of both?

mtbr member
    8 XPG R5
    2 parallel strings of 4
    Driven at 1400ma per string

Total out the front after losses of about 3000 lumens on high

Or in Magicshine speak 3700 lumens
    Last edited by zen bicycle; 05-13-2010 at 11:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zen bicycle

Driven at 14000ma per string

There'll be tears!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Driven at 14000ma per string
    at 14000mA you'll have smoke! I think you got a bit carried away with the zero key.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There's an echo in the house

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    at 14000mA you'll have smoke! I think you got a bit carried away with the zero key.
    Ha ha

thanks

no that was the double super secret electronic package

Bicycle Addict
    Hey Grady, can't wait to try out one of your lights at Northshore here in a few days. I'm sure it'll kick azz!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Nice work. Got to love those busy elves.

I think thermally you should be fine as long as there's some air movement over the fins. I have found that the XPG's run a little cooler than the XPE's at the same current.

mtbr member
    This one actually wasn't when the temp got over 95 here it started acting up even though the calculations said it should be ok. Housing has been redesigned. I guess it is a good thing I didn't go into quatum analytics becuse my math evidentily sucks

mtbr member
    This one actually wasn't when the temp got over 95 here it started acting up even though the calculations said it should be ok. Housing has been redesigned. I guess it is a good thing I didn't go into quatum analytics becuse my math evidentily sucks

Heck, the triple I have gets warm fast. I can only imagine how much heat a double quad could put out. Sweet looking little package though. With two quads going on high it is going to suck battery juice faster than you can say Jump'in Jack Robinson. Still, a nice little light when you want to have some fun and aren't so worried about the run times. Speaking of such, what size/voltage battery are you running with this set-up? Running one of these on the bars would be sweet. Not sure I would put one on the helmet though.

mtbr member
    The working model is only 100 grams so helmet mount is doable. I am using a 14.8v 5300mah lipo battery pack for a little over 2 hours runtime on hi.

mtbr member
    The working model is only 100 grams so helmet mount is doable. I am using a 14.8v 5300mah lipo battery pack for a little over 2 hours runtime on hi.
    Hmmm...I was just looking over on BatterySpace.com to see how much a battery like that would weigh. They don't seem to carry a Lipo battery in the capacity that you mention. The closest they come to that size is either a 4800mAh or a 6400mAh but dang, the 6400mAh weighs about 1.5lbs.

However if you are talking an 8 cell Li-ion battery then yes, there is a 5200mAh battery. Looking at Lipo vs. Li-ion the Li-ion's look to weigh much less. Did you build your own battery or buy from another vendor?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Zen, love your work
    Is there any more info or a beamshot or two that you could throw our way? Are you thinking this is definately going into production? I can easily imagine this new light of yours as my new helmet light
    Cheers, Digger.

mtbr member
    I don't have beam shots of this one and can't get them as it is out on loan/testing right now.

I am not sure i am going inot production with this one. Leaning more to a sst-50 version, but will have to see.

This one is just slightly too big for me

Cat it is a 14.8 5400mah li-po pack from all-battery