mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Edge does not hold a charge

I've had my Edge 305 since December. I've got about 70 rides on it, with all the rides being 3 hours or less. I always connect the unit to my PC to download the data then just leave it on to charge the battery.

Twice in the last week or so I've taken the Edge off of the PC (after charging was complete), set it aside for a day then gone to use it and found it dead. It will power up briefly then the screen goes blank. I have put it on the charger (not USB port) and gotten similar results. It will take a charge (gives message 'Battery charging complete') but then doesn't hold the charge.

Has anyone had this problem, or is this a known issue?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    it sounds like to me that you need a new battery for it which leaves you with two choices, 1 get garmin to replace it or 2, if you are technically minded try and do it your self.
    Tony

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeldog
    Twice in the last week or so I've taken the Edge off of the PC (after charging was complete), set it aside for a day then gone to use it and found it dead. It will power up briefly then the screen goes blank. I have put it on the charger (not USB port) and gotten similar results. It will take a charge (gives message 'Battery charging complete') but then doesn't hold the charge.

Has anyone had this problem, or is this a known issue?
    I had a similar problem, and Garmin has a couple of entries on their web site about different related issues. The problem I had was solved by following this entry:

Q. My Edge 205/305 unit will not power on after being removed from the charging source. How can I get it to turn on?
    A. Your device may have temporarily locked up due to the lack of being charged. In order to "wake up" the unit, please follow these steps:
    • Connect the unit to the available power source (USB/110V.
    • Press reset and mode for 3 seconds and then release. Once you have done this please attempt to power the device on.
    • Allow the unit to charge briefly (15 to 30 minutes), and it should then be ready for use.

The odd thing about this is that I had the problem right after I had charged it, and the screen said charging was complete, yet the problem was a lack of being charged somehow. Mine had exactly the same symptom as yours; it would turn on for a couple of seconds, and then go off.

Hope this helps!

Two Tired
    Same problem, same fix. Give it a try.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com