giddy up!

Edge 305 problem/question

I recently started using the Garmin Edge 305. Cool little unit that does some cool stuff....

However.....there's one thing I can't figure out. When I import data for a given ride into Garmin Training Center......the stats often change. I.E.......on the unit itself I might show 43.17 miles and 5600 feet of elevation gain. Then.....when I import that ride into the Training Center software.....all of the sudden it reads 41.89 miles and 3417 feet of gain.

I just pulled those numbers off the top of my head to give you guys an example of what I'm talking about. It's not always both stats either...sometimes the mileage is on but the gain is all off.

Any help here? It's starting to really bug.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Most GPS desktop software has a user-configurable feature that smooths out the data to eliminate instrument error. I use Ascent, and I have it set up to ignore altitude changes less than 5 feet. If you just sit stationary and watch the altitude display on your Edge you'll see that it fluctuates a little bit over the course of several minutes-that's just a limitation of the accuracy of the instrument driven by a need to bring it to market at a price that users will be willing to pay. That noise can & should be filtered out by your software-those little 1 foot fluctuations really add up over time.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

mtbr member
    training center does this and so does motionbased.
    you can't do anything about it. I've tried all kinds of settings

they both give you more miles/feet that the unit does.

It bothered me at first also

giddy up!
    Alright.....here's another question...

The mileage for my ride yesterday is correct in Training Center. However the elevation gain is 2000 feet too low on Training Center. To further complicate matters......the map and elevation chart on training center are way off and only show the second 1/2 off the ride.

This thing is really starting to bug. I could do a better job keeping track of mileage and elevation with a calculator, pen and paper.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com