Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Candlestick Maker

easy2led.com light build

Well, I think a bunch of people are in the same boat as myself, planning to build a helmet light based on the new easy2led.com housing. Here is what I'm thinking. Please comment...

Goals of the build:
    Light weight
    Multiple levels
    No SOS flashing modes (or at least hidden)
    >1000 lumens
    Compatible with my pile of 8.4V li ion batteries (Magicshine, Gemini, diy)
    Low profile mount
    Easy to upgrade

Components I've pretty much decided on:
    easy2led.com housing
    L333-MC-XPGGC2-A light engine from lux-rc.com - 1280 lumens, 100% 20% 2% ECO capable, neutral white
    Carclo triple optic

Anyone have a recommendation for which optic to choose? I was thinking the clear narrow one, but may just buy several options and see which I like best.

For a mount, I haven't decided what to use. Options:
    MagicShine style rubber band mount (attached directly to helmet vent)
    Marwi style mount
    Cateye slider and helmet mount

For wiring, I think what I'd like is a single cable exiting from the rear of the light through a cable gland. That wire would include an inline momentary switch. Does such a wire exist?

Other options could include a remote momentary switch, a power jack in the rear of the light, etc.

I think running just a momentary switch with the lux-rc board will limit me to 2 levels (100% and 20%) which would probably work. Ideally, I'd have access to the other modes, but don't think the complexity of both power and momentary switches is something I want to deal with.

Thanks for any comments/ideas you might have.
    baker

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Regarding a helmet mount - you can use this: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/univers...d-lasers-12000

You will need a triple core wire to use a 333-MC module and an inline mom switch. Silicone servo wire will be a good fit - it is very flexible, but you'll need a thick gauge.
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I can't speak good enough words about the marwi helmet mounts. They're awesome.
    I WANT TO BUY YOUR MAGICSHINE LIGHTS! Working or not.

help with the zip please
    I like the cat eye mounts but I haven't tried the others for comparison.

Also if you like a focused helmet light then I think you will be disappointed by the triple xpg. This is a person preference thing so if you are going to go ahead with it then would be buying a range of the optics starting with the tightest one you can get and ending with the one you currently think would suit your needs.

That said, a triple xpg makes a fantastic bar light

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    With L333 board you're stuck with flood. You do get 1200+ lumens, but you wont be throwing them far from the light. For a helmet light most of us prefer throwers. You could acomplish that with let's say a single XM-L and a L-Flex or any other driver, that can push the LED up to 3A, and a decent optic. Since there's no way to fit an Iris inside, I' d go for a LXP-RS or LM-1. You would get about 300 lumens less, but those will be wisely distributed and not wasted. How much is the L333? 50$? XM-L is about 11$ and L-Flex is 25$. Add shipping and you still get away with lower price.

Just my 50 cents.

Candlestick Maker
    Good points, emu26 and Toaster79.

I already have plenty of bar lights that produce great flood. I'm really looking at a helmet specific build and I do like a helmet light that has good throw. So, I may look into the XM-L as suggested above.

I've also built lights previously with the bFlex, so I have a pretty good idea of how this would go together.

Hmm...
    baker

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Good XM-L throwers have smooth deep reflectors. A cheaper build would be XM-L + 2.8A board from DX/KD + a smooth reflector. Battery pack - 18650 cells in parallel.
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    A smooth deep reflector won't fit your housing, since there's only 21,5mm space from bottom of the deeper pocket to the top. Take away thickness of MCPCB and retaining ring and you'll hardly get 15 or 16mm space for the optics or reflector. That's why I suggested those two optics, since both were tested with a decent bit of throw. KD/DX drivers are mostly crap. They never put out rated current and they are very unreliable.

Candlestick Maker
    How easy is mounting the LXP-RS onto the XML? Do I need a holder or anything? And, I assume I should get an XML mounted to a 20mm star for this project, right?

Anyone know a good stateside source for the XML and LXP-RS? I know I can get them from cutter, but would prefer to buy stateside.

Thanks!
    baker

mtbr member
    is the LXP-RS the same as the Laura RS? If so, you can buy them from Newark - $2ish but $6 p+p

I order my XM-Ls from Kaidomain, slow as a boat to arrive, but they're decent and a good price. I don't think LEDsupply or Digikey have XM-Ls on 20mm stars, though they may have updated their stock over the last month or so since I last looked. Cutter if you're in a hurry, KD if you're not (and tight as a duck's bum like me )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster79
    With L333 board you're stuck with flood. You do get 1200+ lumens, but you wont be throwing them far from the light. For a helmet light most of us prefer throwers. You could acomplish that with let's say a single XM-L and a L-Flex or any other driver, that can push the LED up to 3A, and a decent optic.

Just my 50 cents.
    I have to disagree here. My L332 board with XP-E emitters and clear narrow carclo optic is the best thrower I own, even though it's only 800 lumens. It out-throws my XM-L/ Regina at 3A.
    The L333 narrow beam option should have similar throw.

The XM-L / Laura RS combo has a hotspot almost as tight as the L332, but of course it throws more peripheral light.

If you do get the L333, ask Serge for one that is pre-wired, or get his wires with connectors. It can be hard to fit the optic on the board if the solder joints at the pins are in the least bulky.

Candlestick Maker
    XP-E's are known to have better throw (compared to XP-G's).

Some comparative triple beamshots here:
    http://lux-rc.com/view.php?p=content...&_sx=0&_sy=800

Also, so comparative beamshots from mtbmacgyver here:
    LED and Optics for Lightweight Helmet Light

If I get an L333, I'll definitely get the wires with connectors. My fine motor skills verge on spastic.

Still undecided what I'll go with. I bet any of the choices would suffice for my needs. I'd love to see beamshots/measurements like the one's above with an XM-L and a 20mm optic. Need to keep searching.

Thanks for all the input.
    baker

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

4x XPG+Carclo10417 @ 1300 mA

1x XML @ 3,5A + LXP-RS

Get the idea?

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster79
    [IMG]Get the idea?
    That looks nice!
    baker

Candlestick Maker
    Turns out the lflex isn't appropriate for 1 xml used with a 2 cell li-ion pack. And, the appropriate style taskled driver is too large for the easy2led housing.
    baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    Turns out the lflex isn't appropriate for 1 xml used with a 2 cell li-ion pack. And, the appropriate style taskled driver is too large for the easy2led housing.
    It's fine if your 2-cell Li-ion is in parallel instead of series, 3.7v. Not so good if you have a stock of 7.4v batteries.

You can always buy one of these and waterproof it up:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...RK:MESINDXX:IT

And here's a charger that should work.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/DC4-2V-500mA-Smar...item4aa962f576
    and

mtbr member
    or just rewire your existing 2S battery

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    or just rewire your existing 2S battery
    Given that I have 3 light heads and 10 packs at 2S, no thanks!
    baker

mtbr member
    Given that I have 3 light heads and 10 packs at 2S, no thanks!
    so spend $80 or so on a L332 XP-E/optic/postage then, it's your choice

Candlestick Maker
    That's what I'm leaning towards. Any consensus on the HEW version of the XP-E? I see some strong recommendations against using it for a flashlight/bike light, but the beamshots from lux-rc actually look pretty damn good.
    baker

mtbr member
    That's what I'm leaning towards. Any consensus on the HEW version of the XP-E? I see some strong recommendations against using it for a flashlight/bike light, but the beamshots from lux-rc actually look pretty damn good.
    I have one under construction now with an HEW, as I have the same issue- 4 nice battery packs and 2 other lights that run 7.2v.

I had a problem working on the board, but it's headed back to Serge for repair. If you do get one, get the nice connectors he sells, or get it pre-wired. The optic is a very tight fit near the soldering posts and there is very little clearance for wire and solder there, as Golddigger and I found.

Candlestick Maker
    I pulled the trigger on the XPE-HEW triple from lux-rc. 1100ma version. I picked up all the carclo triples from ledsupply.com just for the heck of it. narrow, narrow frosted, medium frosted, wide frosted, and elliptical.

Now for the hard part...waiting for everything to arrive.
    baker

mtbr member
    I pulled the trigger on the XPE-HEW triple from lux-rc. 1100ma version. I picked up all the carclo triples from ledsupply.com just for the heck of it. narrow, narrow frosted, medium frosted, wide frosted, and elliptical.

Now for the hard part...waiting for everything to arrive.
    Did you get the connectors or get it pre-wired?
    http://lux-rc.com/view.php?p=content...es/accessories

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent
    Did you get the connectors or get it pre-wired?
    http://lux-rc.com/view.php?p=content...es/accessories
    I ordered this:

BA-CONN-KIT
    Super-flexible Silicone Wires with Pre-soldered Connectors (For All Engine Types). Includes: 2 Power Wires (Black and Red), 2 Signal Wires
    baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent
    I have one under construction now with an HEW, as I have the same issue- 4 nice battery packs and 2 other lights that run 7.2v.

I had a problem working on the board, but it's headed back to Serge for repair. If you do get one, get the nice connectors he sells, or get it pre-wired. The optic is a very tight fit near the soldering posts and there is very little clearance for wire and solder there, as Golddigger and I found.
    Cannot disagree with that, I finally got round to sticking mine in the post today off to Serge for repair. Top marks to Serge for customer service

If i like the output of the new board i'll definetly get some more as they are great for simple lights and tiny builds. There was rumour Serge will release a XML version of a 20mm board.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast