mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Dynamo Easy2Led 20mm with Quad or Triple

I put a Supernova E3 Pro-2 on my Krampus. Then, I added two secondary lights running off of the SP hub for off-road use. I consider them DIY but I actually just bought the assembled kits from LEDSupply. 1-up XP-L. I configured the 3 lights with 2 DPDT series/off/parallel switches. The E3 also has an old AA taillight connected to it.

Iím planning on moving the E3 onto a road bike now, and building a new light for the mtn bike. My plan is to build it with a 20mm Easy2Led housing. My impression is that I shouldnít need the extra volume of the 36mm housing because I plan to stick with a simple circuit (likely circuit 2 or 6 from Martin).

Currently, Iím leaning toward an XPG3 20mm Quad run as 2S2P configuration. However, the Carclo Optics are 24mm outer diameter and the housing says the limit is 22mm. Iím guessing I can make it fit but am wondering whether the ring of the glass may overlap the lens?

Another option would be to use a triple though I donít think I want to run all 3 in series. Perhaps split the current into 2 LEDs and full current through the third (2S1P?). I would consider placing the taillight across the full current led as well.

Thoughts on those options? I like the idea of the secondary lights, but maybe I should just design away from them at this point. I added them for periphery light with wide optics though I plan to change them to medium.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I suspect that cutting down the 24mm quad to fit the 20mm Easy2Led housing will give you a few weird artifacts in the beam and widen it more.

The 10mm family from Carclo (both the triple and quad are from that series) are really wide to begin with so that may not be ideal. Despite the "narrow spot" description from Carclo they are very much a flood light with XPG emitters and short on throw. The XPC emitter would tighten it up quite a bit but at less light.

Your beam shape preference will be important in deciding if it is workable.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    A triple works fine if you run a helmet light as well for the slow speed stuff. You probably don't even need to use the doubler (though circuit 8 is nice). Martins charts are quite old and the Vf of the current LEDs is lower so you'll actually get a bit more more light at lower speeds.

If you want a really cheap and easy build option, pick up an XML light head from your favourite Chinese light shop, gut it and put in a 6V Easywhite XML and drive with circuit 7.

http://www.cree.com/led-components/p...xm-l-easywhite

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks, fellows.
    I'll keep plugging away in my head.
    I may go with a double. Especially if I find a nice donor in my favorite Chinese light shop.
    A helmet light isn't always warranted on the trails I ride.
    I see where a single Easywhite would be simpler at the same Vf. Hmm. I'll take a look at options for optics and whatnot.
    I haven't really considered using a voltage doubler. Since I'm using manual switches it seems simpler to me to just have the series/parallel option. But I guess that wouldn't be possible with a single. If I go that route I'll likely keep the secondary lights with the option of only running those at slow speed.
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    LEDDNA 20mm 10 degree optics work pretty well with the regular XML emitters. Never tried it with an Easywhite so don't know how it would look.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm with znomit & vancbiker - the light on my regular commuter is a 20mm Easy2Led housing, triple XP-E2, "narrow" Carclo lens & yes it is too floody. I run another 20mm Easy2Led housing headlight

I have a virtually identical light in the Easy2led 35mm housing with XP-G2 triple & a Ledil Cute Triple & it has a much better beam. Looks much bigger though
    Dynamo Easy2Led 20mm with Quad or Triple-9cslgejga_pghcf_b8rj5bn7l6xwmb6j-zthnnrprn8kasf3sfiftwlokapg_49gh52s7ykgdp5vbttqt8qymdevqqoggi2c.jpg

There are plenty of ways to skin this cat - if you are after better low speed performance, another option is to using martin's circuit 5 or 6 with a "too small" capacitor. If you wanted to get fancy you could switch in extra capacitors as your speed increases to keep you in the boost hump - one of my long term ideas is how to switch automatically.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has anyone purchased one of these lights from dx or fasttech?
    Can you confirm the housing is aluminum?
    It sure looks like plastic.
    Dynamo Easy2Led 20mm with Quad or Triple-dual1.png
    Dynamo Easy2Led 20mm with Quad or Triple-dual2.png

mtbr member
    May 2005
    From the pictures, I'm seeing an aluminum extrusion used for the housing. Very typical in the cheapo Chinese lights. Reduces the machining needed, though almost always at the cost of having a poor thermal path. Sometimes that can be improved by the addition of fitted plugs or plates to mount the emitters on.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    2 things to remember about dynamo lights (1) you are limited to ~ 0.5A so cooling is rarely an issue & (2) a nice tight beam will make em appear much brighter.

Chinese lights are a lottery. I have a version of the ss2 style light (top of your pics) & as Vancbiker says, its an extrusion with a poor thermal path. Couple of copper plugs worked a treat.