mtbr member

Dying 14.8 volt battery - what are my options?

I have been using a three Cree XR-E R2 light for the past few years with a 14.8 li-ion battery from from batteryspace. It is driven with a buckpuck from Luxeonstar, 3023-D-E-1000. The battery now only holds enough charge for to 1 hour 15 (I have 2 batteries).

I live in Australia and finding a reasonably priced battery (with shipping) is difficult. I can find an 11.6 volt battery at a reasopnable price, but assume that the light then runs out of regulation. I can live with this if all it means is lower run time, but not if reduces light output or buggers the LED or the driver (or won't work at all). Will the 11.6 volt battery run this light properly, do I need to switch to a boostpuck, or is either approach impractical with a 3 LED setup?

Other suggestions are also appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

help with the zip please
    New battery alternatives

14.8v 4200mAh $45Aus including postage

balance charger $20Aus including postage

charge bag $7aus including postage

I have mates that run these batteries and our take on it is even if it only lasts half the number of recharges as a "brand" name you're still in front.

complete setup to your door for under $80Aus. Search his site because he does run battery / charger combo's that might safe a few dollars and he does also have other 14.8v batteries

Of course none of these batteries are protected so you may want to look at a voltage meter as well, there was a thread on those recently
    Last edited by emu26; 08-27-2010 at 08:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    I have been using a three Cree XR-E R2 light for the past few years with a 14.8 li-ion battery from from batteryspace. It is driven with a buckpuck from Luxeonstar, 3023-D-E-1000. The battery now only holds enough charge for to 1 hour 15 (I have 2 batteries).....

I live in Australia and finding a reasonably priced battery (with shipping) is difficult.
    Other suggestions are also appreciated.

Thanks

Tim
    Sounds like you might have a bad cell or the PCB is crapping out on your battery. A Li-ion battery should last more than two years unless something is wrong with a cell, the PCB or the charger. Of course if you use it everyday for two years it might have reached the max amount of recharges. (?)

Another option: Get in touch with Kerry, the guy who builds the K-lite. Since he sells batteries for his triple XPG lamps ( 14.8v ) you might snag a battery from him at a decent price since he also hails from Oz.

Option #2: Buy two of these two packs of 18650 cells. Then buy one of the four cell 18650 holders from LuminousDIY.com. I like the 4-cell square set up because it is more easy to mount on my top tube. ( Note: you will have to wire the holder for 4-series ) Buy a couple good chargers from D/X ( will need an Oz A/C adapter ) and you should be good to go. All this might cost you about $61-$64 AUD but if you ever need 4 cells again it will only cost you about $22 AUD.

mtbr member
    Thanks to both of you for the advice. In terms of use, the batteries are about 5-6 years old as I used them previously to run a 20w halogen bulb, and I think a lack of use last year probably meant they were not stored properly.

And Emu, the charge bag is a good idea as I worry about charging the battery at home.

Tim

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    Thanks to both of you for the advice. In terms of use, the batteries are about 5-6 years old as I used them previously to run a 20w halogen bulb, and I think a lack of use last year probably meant they were not stored properly.

And Emu, the charge bag is a good idea as I worry about charging the battery at home.

Tim
    All my lipo's get charger outside on a concrete block away from the house and are stored in the back shed. Just can never be too sure. I don't want to be the unlucky 1 in a million who has a lipo fire