mtbr member

DX Torch vs Citizens Kane Easy DIY

I was all set to build up my light(s) a few months ago but things got busy and never got to build or order any parts.

Well the need for a light will be here before I know it so I have started researching again. I was all set to build the "Easy DIY" light for my first build but after looking around the last few days I see a lot of people are using Trustfire 801's or similar.

So, my questions is. Pros and Cons of each setup.

I was really set on building my light. To be able to say I made it and to better understand how these things work. Just don't know if the price of supplies for a single Kane style light would outweigh the cost of 2 DX torch. I would need 2 torch minimum and maybe 3 (1 on helmet 2 on bars)

If I do a Kane would I really need any other light?

Thanks
    Jason

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spitfire
    If I do a Kane would I really need any other light?
    This depends on what you need and what you plan on building. You will probably need another helmet light though.

As for the pros and cons, you could probably get similar results with the DX lights or a Citizen Cane Easy DIY, but the Easy DIY will give you more customization and you could get more creative with the battery options. With the DX lights you are tied to 18650 cells unless you mod them in which case they are not as simple to do. If you already have a charger and cells then this is not a negative.

The Easy DIY lights are a great way to build a light though, and will be customizable. The Hammond cases however are not going to be great for heatsinking by themselves, they will need to have a decent chunk of aluminum in there to back up the LED's in my experience. They also have no fins so I don't think they are very efficient - but even so I have only had my Easy DIY light trip it's thermal protection a couple times.

So if you want simplicity and a decent light I'd get 2 801's on the bars (if that was the choice) and one for the helmet. If you want to build a light the Easy DIY would be a good way to go - though how reliable and tough it will be will depend on how it is built.

mtbr member
    A friend of mine was using two DX P7 torches on the bars until a while back when I helped him build an Easy DIY light in the Hammond case with four XP-Gs driven at 1A. The difference in the amount of light is staggering from the Easy DIY.

I also helped him build a 4 x 18650 battery pack which lasts about 2 hrs 15 mins whereas the torches with their single battery only last just over an hour on the highest setting. You will therefore need to carry spares for longer rides and have the faff of stopping to change the cells over.

He is more than happy with the Easy DIY and he had the enjoyment of building it and can use the knowledge gained for any future projects he might tackle. He has had no problems with overheating but that is riding in the temperate UK climate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Although the dx torches may be the easier of the two, the Hammond is by far has the potential to be brighter.

As commented earlier - flipping thermal switches (overheating) - It is very easy to make the Hammond enclosure very small. The case on its own does not have the potential to make a very good heat sink due to its lack of fins and surface area. The box however should work OK if you do not try and make it too small. A slightly larger/longer hammond may not be as sexy but it will dissapate heat better.

Another alternative from the hammond is the extruded aluminum cases from Newark. One of the enclosures they carry is from www.boxenclosures.com. It is cheaper than the Hammond cases. It comes in multiple colors such as gold, red, blue, and green. Multiple sizes with several which should work well for a DIY build.

I guess it all comes down to the conditions you are going to use it in.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. I will go ahead with the Easy DIY now to gather my list of parts needed which always seems to be the hardest part...

mtbr member
    I'm in the US. Would you say there is a one stop online shop or close to it to order the parts from that I need to make the Easy DIY

mtbr member
    Try mouser or digikey they should have most of the parts (I prefer mouser for some reason). Good idea to decide now on the connectors and other odds and ends you will use since shipping can get to be expensive after 2 orders and realizing that something was forgotten (or so I have been told) .

Another thought would be if you wanted something compact you could squeeze 4 emitters in one of these:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1455B802.pdf

This is one I made with the above case using Cree XRE's (old tech), polymer optics, Hirose HR30 connectors, a Buckpuck with custom brains and a cheap toggle (momentary) with a rubber cover, there is also a tri color status led in there for mood effects:

Another idea for the battery is that if you already have a Makita LTX you can use one of these adapters for the light:
    http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.co...oducts_id=1115