Thread: Which DX 18650

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Which DX 18650

I have 4of these and they have been fine http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790

wanted to order a few more, but reading the more recent reviews seems like the quality might have gone down since I last bought them.

What have you all had good luck with?

Are these any better?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392

These will be going in an MTE P7 and a TR-801

Lets RIDE!
    I have been using the same ones (#5790) in a TR-801 for 2 seasons and have had no problems.

I don't know why DX sells so many different protected 18650s. Is there really any difference, aside from a few mAh one way or the other, and the color of the shrink-wrap?

Which brings up the question: why 1001 different single 18650 torches? ;-)

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have a bunch of the blue trustfire 2500mah (5790). I just found one to be leaking. The other issue I have is that the wrap on the outside is fragile. I have a couple that have torn.

I just got some tenergy cells but I can't vouch for them yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have 18 of these cells (5790). I probably use 6 per week. I've only had them for 3 mths.

One died within 2 days of arrival before it got used. It had an internal short and got hot enough to burn someone's house down. Lucky I was home.
    I found no obvious problem when I stripped it later.

The wrap is a little fragile.
    The 4.25v cutoff.....I've had them charge to 4.4 volts so would take no notice of their cutoff ability.

They give as good a burntime as the led calculators say they will on some of my lights.
    I haven't tested runtimes on them all yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Tenergy 18650s

I just got 2 Tenergy 2600mah 18650s. Ran 2 of them in series on my LEDgend light which has 4 XPG LEDs driven at 750ma each. On the Trustfire 2500mah cells the light ran 1 hour 26 minutes. On the Tenergy cells it went 1 hour and 51 minutes.

The cost a little less than $10 each plus shipping. For me the extra run time is worth $5.50 more per cell.
    Last edited by rideandshoot; 04-25-2010 at 01:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rideandshoot
    I just got 2 Tenergy 2600mah 18650s. Ran 2 of them in series on my LEDgend light which has 4 XPG LEDs driven at 750ma each. On the Trustfire 2500mah cells the light ran 1 hour 26 minutes. On the Tenergy cells it went 1 hour and 51 minutes.

The cost a little less than $10 each plus shipping. For me the extra run time is worth $5.50 more per cell.
    Bummer, I just bought the 20392 last week. I'll grab those tenergy cells next time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideandshoot

Hmmm..... ...Anyone else using Tenergy cells and getting results like above? An extra 25min almost sounds too good to be true. Most of my testing is done at higher amp levels though. Heck, if I could get an extra 15mins @1amp with my single XP-G I would be thrilled. Over on CPF they compared some common 18650 cells. Run time was not too different and only varied by minutes for most batteries. Not sure they compared a Tenergy though. Tenergy does claim to build batteries by international standards but it's hard to say if that really means anything.

Of course if other people start chiming in with Tenergy praises I might just have to order me a few.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Hmmm..... ...Anyone else using Tenergy cells and getting results like above? An extra 25min almost sounds too good to be true. Most of my testing is done at higher amp levels though. Heck, if I could get an extra 15mins @1amp with my single XP-G I would be thrilled. Over on CPF they compared some common 18650 cells. Run time was not too different and only varied by minutes for most batteries. Not sure they compared a Tenergy though. Tenergy does claim to build batteries by international standards but it's hard to say if that really means anything.

Of course if other people start chiming in with Tenergy praises I might just have to order me a few.
    Cat Man do...

I'm at work right now and I can't find the thread I used to pick the Tenergy cell, As I recall there were several that tested in the range of the Tenergy. The best was a AW but that one is $20 each. I bought one thinking that I was getting two but when the package came in the mail there was only one (the picture on the website shows two). It is a nice cell but $20!!. I googled the Tenergy and found it for $9.50 so I jumped on it.

Another consideration is that the Trustfire batteries that I used had been charged and rechaged a 1/2 dozen times. The test on the Tenergy was the first discharge cycle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bonbonan
    How is the 20392? Can you tell me more about the performance?
    I let you know when I get them, DX shipping is not fast so it will probably be a while.

mtbr member
    I have a set of these, no complaints so far. These were the cells that were suppose to have a lower internal resistance making them better for high(er) current applications. They do seem to make the torch brighter ( initially ) but that is compared to 2 yr old 2500mAh ( blue ) Trustfires. I've yet to do any extended riding with them but so far they seem to work fine. The next time I go out I'll be testing my XP-G drop-in torch on the bars. I'll throw the ( black/red ) Trustfires in to see what happens. Maybe this weekend if the weather holds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Have 6 of them. Most are 2100 - 2200 mAh, one is true 2400 mAh and one is 2480 mAh (record, heh). But regarding the price $8.5/pair that's ok, I suppose.

mtbr member
    I have 4 of these UltraFire 2600mAh cells. I've been using these all summer to power my triple XP-G R-5 bar K-lite ( 14.8volts ). Most of my night excursions only run about two hours and I usually tend to only hit the high setting for downhills. Still, I've yet to see the red ( low battery ) warning led light on any of my rides. Even on the ones where I've not recharged the battery from the last ride.

Last night I recharged these same cells and checked the voltage on all four. I used my Ultrafire WF-139 charger. Each cell charges in its own bay/circuit. ( * note: these cells are a tight fit in the WF-139 but they do fit ) One cell charged to 4.2 volts. Two charged to 4.19 volts and one to 4.18 volts. One cell did take a little longer than the others to charge but all things considered, for the price...I can't complain too much if one cell is only 2/100's of a volt off maximum peak voltage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My favorite are these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392

They are reliable and have a long runtime. And I love the ironic packaging of protected cells with flames on them!

I've used many types from DX... blue, red, grey, etc. The worst I've had were actually the red 2600's. Several of them stopped working completely. I've heard those Ultrafire 3000's are terrible too.

Now I only use http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392

Check this thread on CPF for detailed comparisons: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=257543
    Last edited by adept1; 09-05-2010 at 04:02 AM.
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

Carbon8er
    I have purchased, sold and used, over 100 of these without an issue so far

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19624