mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Dual SCOLO (CREE Q5)

Dual CREE Q5 lights with ~400+ lumens output.

I got my SCOLOs a few weeks ago from LiteMania on CPF and just now got around to taking some pictures of the setup. Sorry this isn't a full review but these are the only CREE/Q5 lights I have and my first and only bike light so I don't have much reference to compare them to. I will say this, I really like them. They provide ample lighting for total darkness riding although I would use them in conjunction with a helmet light. The 8.8Ah battery really lasts and isn't that big either which is great.

For mounting, I have both lights on a Topeak barXtender and I have the battery stored in the mesh pocket of a Topeak small handlebar bag. Theres still plenty of space in the handlebar bag for my wallet, phone and keys which is what I use it for normally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Are the lens of each of the light different? (As in one flood/ one spot). The reason I ask is because the 'flood' seems to be rather seperate from the spot, but the dark zone between the flood and spot seems to be much further than what a flashlight-type reflector would produce.

I see you got the problems of the light beams being blocked by cables solved too.

mtbr member
    That isn't the most ideal beam pattern. A handlebar light should lean towards flood while a helmet can be a spot. On southeastern singletrack, you wouldn't be able to see the trail because the spot would be darting around.

BTW, that handlebar bag is HUGE. Do you ride singletrack with it on there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    That isn't the most ideal beam pattern. A handlebar light should lean towards flood while a helmet can be a spot. On southeastern singletrack, you wouldn't be able to see the trail because the spot would be darting around.

BTW, that handlebar bag is HUGE. Do you ride singletrack with it on there?
    No, I mainly use my bike to get around National Parks where I do a lot of no-on-foot photography. Or at least I try to when I have the free time

The spot does dart around but I haven't had any serious issue with it. When you have lights that are too floody, you get the problem of them not throwing far enough ahead to see the trail which poses another problem depending on how fast you're riding. As I said before, this would be best used in conjunction with a floody helmet light.

dweeby
    I like it, looks like a good setup for some long distance road touring.