mtbr member

driver in battery pack?

I was thinking about building a smaller helmet mounted light and was thinking about mounting the driver with the battery pack. I would like to hear the opinion of some of the more experienced Diy's here.
    Thanks
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It's been done. Main concerns are long, low gauge, power runs with higher amp draw current. What kind of distance are you talking about from driver to LED array?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here are threads on small helmet lights I build that have the driver with the battery.

Micro helmet light

36-21.5-33

The driver in these is a simple buckpuck mounted with the battery. It runs at 1000mA wired for high-low with a remote switch. Works fine but I do miss the features of a sophisticated driver like Taskled mounted in the light body. Battery voltage monitoring is nice but the most missed feature is temperature sensing. A small helmet light gets quite hot if left on high while stopped for more than a few minutes, especially on summer night rides. I'm pretty good about remembering to go to low when stopped, but have forgotten a time or two. No harm yet, but I know it's not good for the LEDs.

Having the driver dim the light automatically when the head reaches 60C is just too handy for me to ignore. I'm currently building a new helmet light and it will have the driver in the lighthead.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I found no problems as long as added some alloy or copper heat sinking the the IC drivers. However, thermally you need to be confident that your housing can handle the LED temperatures and not cook them, even when going slowly up hill or at a standstill.