Thread: Which Driver?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Which Driver?

to drive 3x Cree R2 XR-E's from 18650 cells.
    Buckpuck or nFlex?

Homer
    Both will do, as will the bFlex. I'd prefer the taskLED ones over the buckpuck, but that's your call. All the listed buck drivers need a minium of 4 18650's in series.
    [SIZE=1]Need optics for DIY bike lights? [/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    my analysis says bflex since there was stock when George went on holiday, and no stock of the nflex. I was trying to figure out the difference, bflex is smaller. The buckpacks just don't look that great to me, and the form factor is funny.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    my analysis says bflex since there was stock when George went on holiday, and no stock of the nflex. I was trying to figure out the difference, bflex is smaller. The buckpacks just don't look that great to me, and the form factor is funny.
    bFlex and nFlex share the same specs and UI, just different form factors. The Flex series offer so many features over BuckPucks that they are in totally different categories.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    that's true about the features, and I was somewhat reluctant to put them in the same sentence. However, for just getting a light running a buckpack may be enough. Thanks for clarifying the lack of differences between the bFlex and nFlex. I think I have a lot trouble grasping the fact that two things are similar when I expect them to be different. Hoping I can get one to plug into my light before the end of the month

mtbr member
    The buckpuck is cheaper by about $10 and is super simple, just use a 4.7k or 5k linear pot. You can also get them with fly leads so soldering can be kept at a minimum. As was already noted, it does not have modes or any sort of UI aside from using a pot to dim it. They are pretty bulletproof though, I have been using them in various lights for some time with no issues. That said, if you want a solid all in one solution with modes and all the bells and whistles it is hard to beat the taskled drivers.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I think just getting things running is important for a lot of people. If George can't get me a driver soon enough I may have to go with a buckpack just as a stopgap measure.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    A stopgap measure with the eventual aim of replacing it with a b/nflex? I've found that soldering lights is such a fiddly PIA that once I get a light working, I never want to open it up to rewire, ever again.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    that's just the kind of builder I am, I find that I'm always rewiring, so I make it so it's not that hard.