Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Double XML/ Hammond / Lauras / H6flex

Nothing fancy. Just a Hammond, double reginas, etc.. But with an H6flex and 2 Xml's.

I'm a bit unsecure about driving the XML's at 3A on a Hammond. Just in case, I used the entire enclosure and used as a base for the XML's, a piece of 5mm alu bar and a L piece of 1,5mm alu. And I have a few old VGA heatsinks to attach to the enclosure if necessary.

The H6Flex is attached to the enclosure with the supplied tape.

I just finished it. I didn't do a lot of testing yet so not sure about the possible heat problem.
    I will use a 3s1p 5000mha lipo pack. While I'm waiting for my B6 charger I'm using an MS battery for the first tests.

Itís not very light. The extra alu and the m6 gland do make a difference. But since itís for the bars it will have to do.
    Based on Troutie beamshots, I already ordered some laura and cxp optics to test since they do seem to have a better beam than the reginas.

I'm going to make a few tests tonight and I will try to take a few beamshots.

Last edited by bravellir; 02-13-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Dirt Deviant
    Looks good. Nice and clean!!!
    I have a hammond build planned for a couple XM-Ls.
    Thinking I will need some heatsinking since I plan to shorten the case a little......= )
    I have an old chipset heatsink I attached to my XP-G hammond build. It helps ALOT!!!!!
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

removing nudity
    will be interesting to hear how it copes with the heat

mtbr member
    Mine next light project will probably be exactly the same! Except I plan to shorten the hammond box a bit and probably add a CPU heatsink on the top. BTW, what is the lenght of this box you are using? 80 mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    will be interesting to hear how it copes with the heat

Looks very clean and tidy no problems heat wise for that light in the UK be very interested how it copes in a warmer place .

how long is the case ?

mtbr member
    Nice & neat bravellir.

I like the red wire, could you let me know where you got it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Looks really nice and the double XML does put out some heat.

mtbr member
    tks

Without you pointing to where to find the parts it would never had happened

The enclosure itís a 1455C801, so yes, its 80mm.

This is an X-ray of it

I could have assembled the H6Flex upside down, or even shorten the L piece a bit, but since I will build it again with some Laura's I chose to be cautious and wait till I'm more secure about how it will deal with the heat.

The red wire is from Farnell. There are several colors. I also got some orange that looks nice.
    http://pt.farnell.com/jsp/search/pro...sp?SKU=3855715

Last night I got a few beamshots. The camera itís a point and shot so.. not the mtbr settings. Instead, from the exif in the photos they are F/2.8, 2 Sec, ISO-125

Control

dx sku 36356, P7 torch

dx sku 13658, XR-E R2 dropin, in a plastic housing.

MS 900

Hammond, double XPG R5, Reginas, 1A

Hammond double XML,Reginas,H6flex, 1.4A

Hammond double XML,Reginas,H6flex, 3A

Iím using Georges drivers for the first time, great stuff btw, Iím starting to realize how much this diy thing depends on George work. And Iím a little puzzled. The H6 itís configured as UIB2, 3A, cutoff 6.0v, low voltage warning 6.5v, medium voltage warning 7.4v, and to flash every 5sec. The battery was 8,23v but I still got the 5 flashes at 5sec intervals like if the batteries were below 7.4v.
    Any thoughts?

Las night it were 5 degrees C and the light was on just for a few minutes and was warm but not that much. As soon as Iím comfortable and confirmed all the H6flex settings Iím going to do a ďburn inĒ test and will post results.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bravellir
    I’m using Georges drivers for the first time, great stuff btw, I’m starting to realize how much this diy thing depends on George work. And I’m a little puzzled. The H6 it’s configured as UIB2, 3A, cutoff 6.0v, low voltage warning 6.5v, medium voltage warning 7.4v, and to flash every 5sec. The battery was 8,23v but I still got the 5 flashes at 5sec intervals like if the batteries were below 7.4v.
    Any thoughts?
    I believe your problem is in a cable. As nice as it looks, it is a bit underfed for this light. 0.22 mm^2 is about 24 AWG. And such a wire for such high currents is at the very edge of its ability. According to this table, maximum current for chassis wiring for 24 AWG is 3.4A! So, you are not that far from absolute maximum it is supposed to work under.

It also has not so negligible resistance. Let's suppose your cable length is 1 m (so, 2 m for both wires). If the input current is around 3 A (yes, I know it's a bit less than that), your voltage drop between the battery and the driver is 0.5 V. So, even if your battery is fresh from the charger, your H6Flex will "see" it as 7.7V instead of 8.2V. And hence your premature warning flashes....

mtbr member
    I think ortelius is correct so maybe keep the wire as short as possible. 5 degrees C is quite cold so battery voltage may have dropped a bit due to that.

Great beam for a bar light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Can't wait for "heat test" impressions, as I'm going to use similar "L" shaped alu or copper in alu square tube.

mtbr member
    I know the wire its being used closed to its maximum, but I was hoping it would still manage 3A. I was watching any sign of overheating from the wire and couldnít notice any increase in temperature, any smell or smoke.

I will try to measure voltage at the h6flex end instead the battery end, and probably will try a thicker wire.

mtbr member

Iím using Georges drivers for the first time, great stuff btw, Iím starting to realize how much this diy thing depends on George work. And Iím a little puzzled. The H6 itís configured as UIB2, 3A, cutoff 6.0v, low voltage warning 6.5v, medium voltage warning 7.4v, and to flash every 5sec. The battery was 8,23v but I still got the 5 flashes at 5sec intervals like if the batteries were below 7.4v.
    Any thoughts?
    I agree completely to the first bit

If you're using a 3S pack, shouldn't your cutoff be 3x 3V, ie. 9V? I thought discharging a Li-ion or LiPo cell below 3V could lead to irreversible damage? For reference, my b2flex, driving a 2x XP-G light from a 3S1P pack, has cutoff/low/med at 9/9.7/10.something volts.

I'm afraid that doesn't answer why your stat light was flashing, but hopefully the info will be useful!

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I'll be interested to hear how you fare trimming the Lauras. I've plans for a similar build, but I note that the Laura datasheet shows they're 21.6mm, and the 1455C801 looks to be a 20mm inside height. Perhaps Troutie can share with us how he removed them from the holder (or maybe that makes no difference WRT fit). Thanks for the build info!
    - Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    I agree completely to the first bit

If you're using a 3S pack, shouldn't your cutoff be 3x 3V, ie. 9V? I thought discharging a Li-ion or LiPo cell below 3V could lead to irreversible damage? For reference, my b2flex, driving a 2x XP-G light from a 3S1P pack, has cutoff/low/med at 9/9.7/10.something volts.

I'm afraid that doesn't answer why your stat light was flashing, but hopefully the info will be useful!

I'm using for now a 2S pack (MS). I received today my Imax B6AC so will soon switch to a 3S Lipo

NuMexJoe

I'm hopping that I can grind that 1,6mm from the optic without trashing it. Not planning on using the holder.
    Did someone tried that already?

mtbr member
    I'm using for now a 2S pack (MS). I received today my Imax B6AC so will soon switch to a 3S Lipo
    ah, I understand now. I think the buck *flex drivers need 1V difference between Vin and Vout to stay in regulation, so 2S packs with 2 LED strings can do funny things. Hopefully switching to a 3S pack will sort the problem

mtbr member
    Well.. I did a small test today inside since I probably wonít be able to test it on the trails for the next few days.

I put the light on my ďwind tunnelĒ. The room temperature was 26C and the the cheap Multimeter indicated that the enclosure was at 22C.

I switched on the fan, and with the light on max at 3A, it quickly rise to 35C but then stayed there. After 15minutes I turned the fan off.

It jumped up and about 5min later when the multimeter was indicating 47C, the H6Flex tripped. I had it configured to trip at 60C so..

Didnít touch anything and 5 minutes later the multimeter indicated 43C and was quite stable.

Still with the light at the ďtripĒ level ( I think is L3 ) I switch on the fan , and it took 5 minutes to stabilize at 30C.

So.. Is there any conclusions that we can take from this??

I know that the multimeter is probably very inaccurate, that I have no idea what speed the fan was simulating and that a 40 minutes test is way too quick, that the probe was making a bad thermal contact and was being cooled by the air flow, but I think that it might work, even without the heatsinks that I had planned.

Now I just need to get my bike and go ride in the woods : damm cold.

mtbr member
    I really like it, this is the true spirit of diy!

Done with just a hacksaw and a few sheets of sandpaper.

Ps: Estou sů a brincar.. tenho de aparecer na Nortebike para ver esses xml!

mtbr member
    Still didn't had the chance to ride with the light, but I already made a few changes.

Most important I investigated why the light blinked on full charged MS batteries when medium voltage warning is 7.4v.
    I measured 8.11v at the in+ and in- on the H6flex with the light off and 6.98 with the H6flex at 3A.
    I then removed the red wire I was using and connected just the MS cable. The total length from the batteries to the H6flex its around 40 cm including the connectors. It measured approximately the same values: 8.08v and 7.02v. Close to 1V drop.

Does this make sense? Itís really the MS batteries ( or the cable they use ) the ones to blame here? I'm I missing something?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    bravellir
    I think that it's crappy thin MS cable to blame.
    I use MS extension cable with my 2s Lipo and double XPG light, and the cable gets really warm while in use.
    So, the cable is thinner than it should be.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Although the Magicshine cables are somewhat thin gauge, I generally haven't found them to be a significant cause of voltage drops under load. On the other hand it seems 18650 cells, at least the typical cheap Chinese ones like Ultra/trustfire brands experience some pretty massive voltage drops under load. With my 7up XPG lights that I was attempting to drive with a 4x18650 pack I was seeing the total pack voltage drop over 1 volt when pulling a 1.5-1.7amp load. When I moved to RC Lipo packs I was amazed at the difference... 0.05 to 0.10 volt drop under the same load!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Nice light.

It looks like you forgot to turn the p7 on before taking the pic. Else, something must be wrong with it. With a fresh battery, my sf-15 is almost as bright as a single xml.

mtbr member
    I'm also using that extension cable, but the original cable it's about the same gauge.
    Or maybe the cheap 18650...anyway.. the MS battery its just temporary, I was just trying to understand what was going on. I have to wire the 3s lipo I got for this light.

rlouder.
    You know how stuff from DX is.. that P7 was on, and believe me, it is nowhere near as bright as an MS for example.
    It is still reliable and I use it as a torch around the house, or when I'm in the middle of nowhere taking photos of lights

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Must admit I agree with rlouder - a P7 ought to be far, far brighter than that. What tailcap current are you getting?

Like your light, by the way!

mtbr member

Double XML/ Hammond / Lauras / H6flex

Must admit I agree with rlouder - a P7 ought to be far, far brighter than that. What tailcap current are you getting?
    I never gave much attention to that torch. I just assumed that it had some crap driver. It is not as bright as the MS, but, in the photos it does look less bright than it really is. I will make a few more beamshots just to make sure.

Meanwhile, I made a few changes.
    I replaced the Reginas with a couple of Lauras. They were easy to assemble without the holders. Some sanding on all 4 sides and they fit inside the Hammond. All thatís necessary is to reduce from 21,4mm to 20mm. It's not very well done because I was too eager to try it out. I will try to be more patient next time.
    Also, the optics don't sit very well on the led base and I think I have one off then a little twisted. I will take them apart (they are not glued) and smooth the edges and sit them better aligned.

Even so, I liked the beam a lot. As much throw as the Reginas and a bit more spill.

I mounted the h6flex to the top of the Hammond and was able to reduce the enclosure to 55mm. It was a bit too long. I decided to shorten it a bit even if that means that I will have to mount a heatsink.

This is the one that I think will do it, but if necessary I have the "hulk" that will make it the ugliest light around

Something more about the voltage drop with the MS battery. I wired an 11.1v Lipo and tested with a 15gauge cable and couldnít find any voltage drop. Then, I wired the red 24awg cable that I was using originally and got just an 0,2v drop.
    Since is the only round and reasonable thin cable that I have, I decided to use it anyway.

I will try to make a few beam shots in this new configuration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast