Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    more carbon=more awesome

Double L332MC build.

Hey all.
    I posted up my first effort on Quazzle's thread, but much like Chelboed I thought I'd start a new thread for this build. I built the last one for my brother, but I wasn't that enthused about the final result. So after being inspired by Ed's dual regina build, I did a bit of a re-design to streamline things.
    Work and family commitments mean I do most of my riding at night, and I decided I wanted my lights permanently mounted on a new helmet. So far I have turned up the light-heads, and next step is to do the mounting. I'm going to put them on the visor so I can use screws. In the event of a bad crash the visor should rip off without punching anything through the helmet itself. Then the wiring will go inside the helmet to two individual switches and a plug mounted in the back of the helmet..... Well that's the plan anyway.

So, two light-heads, one XPG board and one XPE board... both MC, but individually switched. Excessive? Of course, but hey, why not? Obviously they both need to be very light weight, but I also wanted to maximize the heat sink. The fins are 1mm thick and 6mm deep. Possibly a bit close together but I think it will work.

Photo time:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double L332MC build.-img_1509.jpg  

Double L332MC build.-img_1517.jpg  

Double L332MC build.-img_1518.jpg  

Double L332MC build.-img_1524.jpg  

Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Artful, B...artful!

I'm jealous!

What are you going to do for power?

You could check into those "long-C" 4000mAh cells that I used to build my last LiIon pack. 4 of those would be plenty.

recognize the slowness
    First B really nice work!!!

How will you mount them. I like them separated like car lights or something. reminds me of a version of the led hat lights also except this will be waaaaay brighter...;-)

Chelboed, what is the number for the long-C cells?
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    They're at batteryspace.com...26650 LiMnNi.

4000mAh

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    They are cool batteries, but they might have some drawbacks.
    Have thought about buying them, but this thread has made me wary of them.
    Other long term opinions or experiences with these would be nice to hear about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Very nice! What's the weight on the housing?

I'd try and push them to the edge of the visor. You might get a shadow from the brim, since they are set back and sitting directly on the visor.

You know what they say, "idle hands are the devil's tools"...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    They are cool batteries, but they might have some drawbacks.
    Have thought about buying them, but this thread has made me wary of them.
    Other long term opinions or experiences with these would be nice to hear about.

Yah...but since the current draw will be so low...they'll last much longer. + their really cheap! The OP of that thread saw 'little, if any' difference after 32 days of use. I hope he comes back w/ a 6 mo graph.

I don't have much of a way to do all that crap, so I can just say that "such'n'such" battery powered "such'n'such" light for "so'long".

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Often a little more technical over on CPF. I am happy with the 18650 Li-ion, but these seem like a good alternative. Just wondering if anyone here has long term experience with them.
    You just got yours. But if the LiMnNi drop down to the level of a li-ion within a year and the then I would stick with the li-ion. Not saying that they do, but it was a concern.

mtbr member
    bshallard, Very nice where are you planning to put the driver ?

Can I ask what quick change tool post you have on your lathe is it an A 2 Z ?

more carbon=more awesome
    Hi guys.
    To answer some questions:
    I will post up pics of the mounting as it progresses, but the lights will have to stay in the channels shown. The outer channels are angled too much and I would have to mount them individually, and too high up. After buying the helmet I realized the visor was actually a very difficult shape to work with. They will share a common, tilt adjustable mount.
    I don't have small scales, so I don't know what the weight is yet. I might see if the jeweller across the road has some scales I can use.
    I have ordered a MagicShine battery pack and charger from Dapedealer on ebay. My weekly night rides top out at 1hr 20mins so even running full power I should get through the ride with both on, but realistically I'll only need the XPE for going downhill. If I want a longer run time it will be a simple matter to run a second pack in parallel.

Right now I'd better sit down and get some real work done. The bills won't pay themselves, and I've spent a lot of time lately stuffing about with this.

blair.
    Last edited by The Understater; 06-30-2010 at 04:20 AM.

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    bshallard, Very nice where are you planning to put the driver ?

Can I ask what quick change tool post you have on your lathe is it an A 2 Z ?

Hi betty.
    This is designed around Quazzle's triple XPG/XPE boards with the leds mounted on the driver.
    Re the tool post, no. I have a couple of aluminium QCTPs in a drawer, but they always flex far too much for my liking, and the repeatable accuracy is crap. This one was built by some ebay seller. I could be wrong, but I think he went by the name "Fastboatfreak". I bought it in '06, so my memory may be faulty. It is made of stainless, and it has quite big pistons, so it holds the tool holders really securely and has absolutely zero flex! When I bought it I also asked him to make me several extra tool holders, which he kindly did.
    I haven't used the A2Z tool post, but I'm pretty sure this one is far superior. Lucky me eh?

b.

mtbr member
    Sorry I read too fast and the toolpost picture took over my mind. Should have realized it was for the Quazzle board as I've already seen your gear like bezel version.

I may have to try the A2Z if I can't find better.

mtbr member
    impressive work, bshallard, congratulations! Looks slick

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by quazzle
    impressive work, bshallard, congratulations! Looks slick
    Thanks Quazzle. I trust you're enjoying your holiday?

I've cobbled up a mount for it. It isn't finished, as I still need to drill and thread the underneath to fit a grub screw. When I get the tilt just right I'll do up the screw nice and tight and leave it alone. I also need to make up some longer mounting screws (which you can't see in the photos). I under-estimated how thick the plastic visor is.

I'm thinking black anodized for the mount which should help minimize its appearance, and scarlet red for the light heads.

Still don't know the weight, but I put the helmet on before rushing home from work and couldn't feel any weight from the light. I had thought maybe it would feel a bit front heavy, but it's all good.

b.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double L332MC build.-img_1534.jpg  

Double L332MC build.-img_1535.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Crap!!!!! Crap, crap!!!

That's smooth, man...dayadgum!

Diggin!

How are they attached to the lateral rotary girdir...thing...there?

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    Crap!!!!! Crap, crap!!!

That's smooth, man...dayadgum!

Diggin!

How are they attached to the lateral rotary girdir...thing...there?
    Thanks mate.
    You mean the cross bar? Simple. I threaded each end and screwed the housings onto it. It took a bit of trimming on the lathe turning back the shoulders so when tight, the lights are both facing the same direction. Once I get it all fired up and test-ridden I will decide whether to point the XPE head slightly higher or not, and I'll secure them both with some loc-tite.

b.

more carbon=more awesome

Ah, but how heavy is it?

Just paid a visit to the jewelers over the road to use their scales. My camera battery is flat, so you'll have to take my word for it, but the weight for everything so far, including mounting, is 64.8 grams.

b.

mtbr member
    Looking very slick. Will you do the anodizing yourself or sending it off?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Are you going to try to hold a battery up w/ your steroid enhanced neck (LOL) or will you be dropping a battery in the ol' Camelbak?

What is your plan for a battery anyhoo?

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    Looking very slick. Will you do the anodizing yourself or sending it off?

While it's tempting to play around with the anodizing, I have neither the space nor the inclination to have a container of sulphuric acid sitting around in the workshop, and there's no way in hades that my wife is going to let me have one at home either. So I'll let the professionals handle this one.

b.

more carbon=more awesome
    Are you going to try to hold a battery up w/ your steroid enhanced neck (LOL) or will you be dropping a battery in the ol' Camelbak?

What is your plan for a battery anyhoo?
    Got me a couple of MagicShine batteries, chargers and cables off ebay. One each for me and my brother. I'm thinking if I don't get the run-time I want out of one, I can always hook up another in parallel. I will either put the battery in my camelbak or in my shorts pocket. I'm just trying to figure out my switch arrangement at the moment. I bought a couple of small toggle switches, but couldn't get the water resistant cover to go with them, but now I'm thinking about maybe something more like what you made with the tiny push switches. Being in New Zealand isn't helping there. I went to Jaycar this morning but the guy I was dealing with there didn't know his..... well you know. Gonna saunter up to another electronics shop when I get some lunch... right about now in fact.

b.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bshallard
    While it's tempting to play around with the anodizing, I have neither the space nor the inclination to have a container of sulphuric acid sitting around in the workshop, and there's no way in hades that my wife is going to let me have one at home either. So I'll let the professionals handle this one.

b.
    It's not that bad. Plus you have a fire extiguisher hanging there in the back ground. That tells me you are prepared for excitement.

It is alot of small supplies and anodizing gets as addictive as building. Lots of colors out there to try out.

Keep up the very nice builds.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    According to the tests by Quazzle...I'd venture to speculate around 1.2-1.5hrs on a MS battery.

more carbon=more awesome
    According to the tests by Quazzle...I'd venture to speculate around 1.2-1.5hrs on a MS battery.
    That's about what I figured. I'm switching them individually so I don't have to run full power all the time. Not really much point having 2000 odd lumens going uphill eh? Of course Cosmoworks might care to disagree on that point.

b.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ^^ Nah I'll agree with you. But only for the sake of conserving run-time.

odtexas is spot in. Anodizing is really easier than you think. There are some trick's to the trade, but the general process is worth giving it a shot. Awesome lights, and surface finishes you're getting off the small lathe.. props!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast