swag ho Administrator

Do you have a problem aiming your bar light left to right?

A lot of the bar lights I'm testing don't have left to right aiming adjustability. There might be some wiggle room but there is no obvious swivel. Some of them are Dinotte, Lupine, Knog, Cateye to name a few.

Is an issue with y'all or is it not a problem at all. How do you aim it left to right if you have a light with no swivel? What kind of handlebars are you using?

thanks,

fc
    Last edited by francois; 12-19-2007 at 09:23 AM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    That would seem like an obvious problem with any sort of fixed mount scheme since majority of bars, if not all, have some sort of sweep. I mount my DIY light on the stem, and it's held tight with velcro anyways. You would like those companies that you mentioned to have the foresight to add swivel ability.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    A lot of the bar lights I'm testing don't have left to right aiming adjustability. There might be some wiggle room but there is no obvious swivel. Some of them are Dinotte, Lupine, Knog, Cateye to name a few.

Is an issue with y'all or is it not a problem at all. How do you aim it left to right? What kind of handlebars are you using?

thanks,

fc

I have always had issues aiming lights just right. It seems like when you get them aimed properly then a situation arises where it is not quite right. Going uphill or downhill or around a corner it always seems like the light isn't aimed properly. I think a swivel mount that can be locked down tight is essential. Brighter lights and helmet lights in conjuntion with bar lights seems to be the way to go.

Light freak
    Nope. No problems with my lights. The handlebar mount I use has about 5 degrees of sweep both left and right.

BBW
    mtbr member
    That is the only negative point about those lights (I own Dinotte and Lupine)
    I have been starting to play by placing a little piece of rubber (like a cut tube) under one side of the light to create some tilt and aim them a little bit more to the center, (I'm just picky since they are very flood for bean "spots") although with my bar if I place them close to the stem I don't have a big problem
    Last edited by BBW; 12-26-2007 at 10:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    my lights mount in the middle of the bars (night sun). It has 2 clamps that mount on each side of the stem so its before any sweep happens.

MTB B'dos
    Just got a Cateye TS and it has plenty of swivel left & right - biased more right, since it's designed and made in the US and you guys ride on the wrong side of the road NR ENduro you need to use an allen wrench to losen and adjust, not an on the fly option.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    No problem with the DiNotte's, then can be adjusted a few degrees. My riser bars all have enough space next to the stem to mount them straight, but I do understand it can be an issue with some bar/stem combos.

I remember the old Niterider mounts could not be aimed side-to-side either, nor the NightSun's. Nor the current NightHawks.

mtbr member
    I find that it depends on the beam. If I am using a spot, it really bugs me to have the hot spot off center, but if I am running a flood, I don't notice it as much.

mtbr member
    The Niiterider mounts adjust fine on the fly if you don't over tighten the allen head screws. I never had a problem with them and us two of them like that. Just don't leave them too loose either and you should be good. I've replaced my NR lights with Lupine now and I don't have a problem with them as they have a slight side to side adjustment.

I like Monkeys
    I've had my dinotte 200L for a couple of weeks and I'm runnin a Raceface carbon riser. It has a bit of backsweep even right out of the stem. But if I place the light right at the stem and move the elastic a bit it lines up fine. I am considering getting a second 200L so I can run head/bar or two on the bar. It might be nice to have them setup a little wider between them on the bar for a wider beam which may be more difficult. I may try crossing them.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

trail rat
    L&M Arc, CatEye Triple and Double Shot bar mounts all allow horizontal swivel. The velcro helmet mount for the Double Shot bugs me about aim, since it is a spot.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

BBW
    mtbr member
    A lot of the bar lights I'm testing [SIZE="4"]don't have left to right aiming adjustability[/SIZE]. Some of them are Dinotte, Lupine, Knog, Cateye to name a few.

Is an issue with y'all or is it not a problem at all. [SIZE="5"]How do you aim it left to right if you have a light with no swivel?[/SIZE] What kind of handlebars are you using?

thanks,

fc
    It didn't seem clear, so I did some modification to make it clear

Crunchatize me Capn'
    With my new Stella there is no problem whatsoever. Yea!

With my old NightHawk there was left to right rotation however that rotation had indent stops so it wasn't a true infinite 360 deg rotation. I tried adding rubber under one side but that never did work. NR's mounts for the X.2 and TriNewt appear to be adjustable left to right also.

mtbr member
    I have ritchie wcs carbon low riser and betty with oversize mount mounts on it right next to the stem, so I did not notice any problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have always mounted my light close to the stem where the bar is perfectly straight. I do this to avoid weighting the bar on one side so I have never had any problems in the position I mount the bar light. I could easily tilt it by shimmimg a piece of rubber but I don't need to. I prefer no swivel- less moving parts and less play though I can see that as being nice if you have two lights on the bar and you want to point them just slightly sideways. I'd just shim the suckers with a piece of tube or two.

EDIT- my bar is a 27.5" Syntace Vector DH Aluminum with 12 degree sweep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    lupine wilma 4 (upgrade), my light.
    this light does not swivel. it points off center. only bad thing about the mounting system.

i'm looking for a companion light that has a wide spread pattern, thinking of dinetto 600L WB or the trinewt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hideano- does it point off-center even with the light near the stem? If so, maybe use a strip of rubber tube to shim the mount on one side. I use my Betty on the bar and the first night, I had it too far out and it pointed off-center. Not that it mattered too much since the beam is so wide but it bothered me. I moved it a bit close to the stem and it's fine.

For a wide beam, the NR would have a wider beam than the 600L though the Quick Release style 600L bar mount is very cool and looks so durable. I think the Trinewt beam may be a bit wider than even the 600L wide lens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hideano
    lupine wilma 4 (upgrade), my light.
    this light does not swivel. it points off center. only bad thing about the mounting system.
    I don't know about your light but on my Wilma 6 you can loosen the screw on the bottom and have a slight adjustment to either side then tighten the screw back up after centering it. It's not on the fly, but at least you should be able to get it centered. As far as side to side adjustment on the fly, that is what helmet mounts are for.
    Last edited by MaximusHQ; 12-21-2007 at 05:10 AM.

ColoradoCoolBreeze

Is an issue with y'all or is it not a problem at all. How do you aim it left to right if you have a light with no swivel? What kind of handlebars are you using?

thanks,

fc
    Primary front lite Niterider MiNewt. It has side to side adjustment.
    Backup front lite Toppeak bar mount. It also has a side to side adjustment +/-5 degree.
    Handle bar- Azonic Stripbar

hth

29 inches and Pissed Off!
    I am using the Dinotte Dual 200 on the Titec Hbars. I stick the lights out on the "horns" and pretty much have unlimited pointability(is that a word) .

Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If anyone is building a DIY Achesalot type of design, the following modification can add another axis of adjustment. Photos 1 & 2 shows a two LED handle bar mount light and the assembly taken apart. The attachment to the polyurethane base and the body assembly is all done with one wing nut. Instead of using angle brackets on the side, I used a brass tube JB Welded to the inside of the aluminum tube. This allows for the left-right adjustment and also allows for more room to stuff the bflex, wire, switch, etc. into the main body.
    Attached Images Attached Images

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kana
    I am using the Dinotte Dual 200 on the Titec Hbars. I stick the lights out on the "horns" and pretty much have unlimited pointability(is that a word) .

Dan C.
    I had to look it up...

thanks Kana.

fc
    IPA will save America

BBW
    mtbr member

how do you grab that thing

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Probably on the bar-end like things but the pic is of the bar from the opposite end. It's essentially a bar with a lot of sweep and some bar ends built in.