mtbr member

Do Not Let Your Batteries Get Wet

Just a warning to folks dont let water in your battery packs it doesnt take long for a new pack to suddenly look like this and stop working .

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    b b b b bad. b b b b baaad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    WOW,

I had better get on finding a way to water proof my 8 cell pack. I dont really want to buy plasti dip since I am so cheap. The 4cell packs slide into mtb tubes nicely, I just zip tie up both ends and double bad them seems very robust. The smaller tube sizes work well for 2cell packs also. Maybe I can get hold of a pugsley sized tube or a moto tube.

mtbr member
    Oxygen, water, and electricity (a little electrolyte helps). A powerful combination. Essentially, a slow burn.

A partial seal keeps water in much better than it keeps it out if there isn't enough heat to vaporize the water out of the pack before the next influx, which would be par for the couse in Yorkshire.

Seeing is believing. Thanks for sharing! Another good deed done dirt cheap (after destruction, anyway).

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    Oxygen, water, and electricity (a little electrolyte helps). A powerful combination. Essentially, a slow burn.

A partial seal keeps water in much better than it keeps it out if there isn't enough heat to vaporize the water out of the pack before the next influx, which would be par for the couse in Yorkshire.

Seeing is believing. Thanks for sharing! Another good deed done dirt cheap (after destruction, anyway).
    I have a couple of packets of those moisture absorbing crystals in my battery bottle, not that any water gets in but I did notice a bit of condensation forms when I seal the bottle in a nice warm house and then take it out into the cold.

Single Speed Junkie
    Was expecting worse when I opened the thread.

Unfortunately even if you did form a perfect seal around the battery the container would still fill up with water. I never believed it until I saw it happen on a few subs. Best thing to dod is if the batteries are cold let them remain cold in the garage. This way you won't be forming condensation on them each ride and they last longer.