mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Do not buy Light & Motion lights on Ebay- No Warranty

Be careful- do not buy Light & Motion lights on Ebay. I'm referring to NEW lights, of course. Get them through an authorized dealer. I hear that Light & Motion will not be honoring the warranty on any Light & Motion light purchased through Ebay.

Even the best companies have some lights/batteries/etc that will need warranty repair or replacement so in trying to save $20, you could be out $100-$300 depending on what happens.

On the bright side, a few places I know do run specials that are really good so I never shop on Ebay for stuff like that anyway but I know many people do. We have a few dealers here on mtbr that always give mtbr members great prices.

If in doubt, call or email L&M and ask them if they will honor warranties on Ebay-bought lights.

mtbr member
    Wow, I was looking at getting an ARC, I'm glad I know better now. It's a shame when a company won't back up their product.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, the bike shops and other dealers (even online ones) have to make a little profit. Trust me- I always looks for deals but when 20 "dealers" on Ebay sell them at $20 over cost all the time, it erodes the support and network that proper dealers provide L&M. This will eventually lead to the bigger base of shops and dealers starting to carry and recommend competing products.

You can still get some smokin' deals from mtbr vendors who ride and participate in these forums. Maybe I can get a ARC for $330 shipped from Ebay and $350 from my local guy. I'll happily pay the $20 difference knowing:

I have a warranty
    My dealer is a rider like me
    I can even ride with him
    He helps me out when I urgently need something I can't find
    He will back me up if I need CS from L&M
    I'm supporting a mtbr member who posts and helps every day

OR you can support your local shop- just ask them to give you a break on the MSRP- most will. If they don't, use our mtbr guys.

I think L&M just had enough of this Ebay business and decided to put their foot down. Their customer service is outstanding and always has been. I am not defending L&M; just explaining what I think is happening. They will happily take the lost Ebay sales- I know that much. Their products are fantastic (far superior to Nite Rider, for example) and they do not need to sell lights at $20 over cost and undercut the true dealer network that supports them year after year.

Remember- I'm not a L&M employee and I don't even use L&M lights now so don't go nuts on me. I'm simply informing you guys since I know their lights are very popular.

mtbr member
    We can discuss the whole LBS vs. online dealer thing in a hundred threads. The thing about this that makes the company shady to me is at least one of those pretend "dealers" on Ebay (one with a large percentage of the L&M listings in fact) is an authorized dealer listed on the L&M website, so they are as you say part of that true dealer network that supports them year after year.

Do you have a warranty? Will your dealer back you up in the event of an issue? If they are picking and choosing what transactions from their authorized dealers they will honor it pretty well shoots their credibility.

When I see "Warranties apply only to product purchased from authorized resellers. Systems purchased from non authorized resellers, including eBay, will not be covered under warranty." while 16 out of 30 ebay listings are from an Authorized dealer it just like an underhanded attempt to leave the consumer holding the bag on a product they don't believe in. (http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.co...40QQsacatZ7294)

I realize you aren't an L&M employee. I appreciate the heads up. I'm not trying to dig at you in the least.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I see what you're saying. I bet they would honor a sale from an authorized dealer- even on Ebay- at least till this point. I'm not sure if he will continue to sell on Ebay though.

I have had nothing but impressive experiences with their CS and their lights so I have a very positive impression of the company, just like Jet Lites.

Funny thing is I was very accurate with the prices I mentioned even though I was guessing

The guys many of us buy from do have actual shops and we talk to them often. It's not an online versus LBS debate for me. I buy stuff from actual shops even though only one is "local (hour away). I know them well through mtbr over the years and have little need for Ebay or the big online stores. Larry at mtnhighcyclery.com (for example) is an hour away and I have even ridden with him a few times now. When I needed some lights (Lupines) I bought them from him. He also sells ARCs and Jets to people I know. His prices are great and I support mtbr by supporting him. He offers invaluable advice here as well- just like Chad at redbarnbicycles.com- another Turner/Ventanana forum favorite.

With these guys around, Ebay/Pricepoint/Performance/etc. are distant memories

mtbr member
    I still do not understand the economics. I got my used ARC for $220 on ebay 4 years ago and used it without any problems since, then got new ultra battery on ebay for $135. I had ballast changed by L&M for $35. Even if I am taking a loss on the lighthead, I still can sell the battery, charger and accessories and break almost even. New ARC Ultra will run you $500.