mtbr member
    Nov 2007

... and if we just ... DIY triple Seoul setup with laptop battery

Hi ,

Since i have used the mtbr forums together with the candlepower ones to build my own DIY set , i thought id share my experience building these:

I got most of my LED info of achelots site and the setup idea of swallow's double maglite setup, thx guys

As Maglites dont come cheap around here ( >30/piece) i went out and found some outdoor halogen wallspots at a local DIY market (Gamma for any fellow

Belgians ) @ 10.

My LED's were ordered at www.leds.de , as were the lenses , regulator and artic silver paste.(later found www.dealextreme.com , a

lot cheaper and no shipping, to be tested ...)

I got an old Pentium III alu heatsink to fit in the enclosure snug as to allow the heat to pass to the enclosure ( steel/alu) , glued on the LED's +

regulator, soldered them in series and drilled 3 holes to attach the lens:

As a power source i used some old Dell laptop batteries ( li-ion ,14.8v,4400Mah). With the help of some skilled electro-mechanics at work we measured

and tested the connection. Theoretical burn is about 3,5 hours , so far i have only tested them for 2,5

Thats it .

Made some preliminary wiring and switching to connect it all (some tuning to be done still)
    I made 2 in the process ,1 for me and one for a friend but as he doesnt have time atm i fitted them both.

The batteries are in the black bag in the frame together with the K-way that it is supposed to hold...ill get a better bag when i find one. ( Can't

drive in the rain like this as i have no jacket )

Beam shots are hard to take , and don't really show what they are like irl. But let me tell you these are BRIGHT!

Beam picture with only 1 lit :

Another with only 1 lit (u can see why car drivers dont really like em ...):

2 weeks ago we went on a Halloween nightraid around here , and i didnt encounter much that comes close. With only one burning i have been asked to stay

behind ppl so they could see and accused of running on solar power ( ?) and with the two burning "a car" en " a nuclear plant".

As far as costs go , i spend about 90 for one, which compared to the output, is very nice i think( without battery , i recovered that from old laptop).

Only thing i would change is the lens projection. Now i have both on 25 to give plenty of "flood" , but a 10 spot combined with 25 flood would be

better so u can look further ahead at higher speeds.

So again , thanks for the much needed info/ideas. I think i will enjoy these during the winter season

T.

Utility Cyclist
    Jun 2007
    An impressive build! Congratulations.

mtbr member
    Very nice. I am right behind you with my build, 2 x3 SSCs. I too had considered using a spare (2 spares actually) laptop battery. I'm not sure how best to use these extra batteries. I see you have a wire coming out of yours. What did you do to it to make it usable with your lights? Was it easy? I'm a little concerned that they'll blow up on me if I mess with them too much. Do you charge them with a laptop, or a charger?
    Thanks for the input on the lenses. I bought a few, and will see how your 10 & 25 degree suggestion fits my riding needs.
    Are you using anything on the helmet to go along with these? Seems like these would be plenty, which is why I'm shooting for one on the bars, and one on the helmet.
    Thanks for the inspiration to get my butt moving on this project. I wish I'd found those light housings. I'm over here in the states trying to machine some aluminum for mine.
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Looks like you have a nice set of cans!

Excellent work...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Indeed , the battery was a bit complicated for an electronics n00b like myself

The way we did it is to trick the electronics by soldering a wire directly on the batt +and- , as they wont let u discharge without actually being in a laptop.
    Ill try and get some photos of the inside, but if u dont have the exact same batt , i doubt it will look the same...

As far as risk goes , if u shortcircuit them they will get hot fast , thats why i got some outside help on the risky parts

T.

Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatin
    Indeed , the battery was a bit complicated for an electronics n00b like myself

The way we did it is to trick the electronics by soldering a wire directly on the batt +and- , as they wont let u discharge without actually being in a laptop.
    Ill try and get some photos of the inside, but if u dont have the exact same batt , i doubt it will look the same...

As far as risk goes , if u shortcircuit them they will get hot fast , thats why i got some outside help on the risky parts

T.
    You bypassed the packs protection circuitry? Thats not really smart, especially since these packs have very, very good protection systems.
    Can't you use the original negative and positive poles which the laptop charges and drains the pack through? That should be perfectly safe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nope , the pack wont let me discharge via the normal + - .

Apparently it checks for the presence of the laptop , thats why we had to bypass

I had my doubts aswell , but sofar the only drawback encountered is that the electronics do not register the acccurate lvl of the cells , and thus wont let me recharge them untill they are fully discharged. ( to avoid deep discharge i disconnect when light gets dim at approx 3 hours of use)

T.

certified mtb addict
    I hope that dell battery isn't made by sony, otherwise you might have a firebomb sitting between your legs!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    hehe ,

All our batteries went through the dell recall process , so should be fine.

Though brandex pants might be good investment just to be safe

T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Neat casing. Shame that putting a heatsink like that inside a casing is almost a complete waste of time. Given it's not even the same shape as the casing, thermal transfer from that to the casing will be pretty poor too, so all in all a fairly weak thermal design.

I use Dell LiIon battery packs for powering my lights too (they are fairly cheap on ebay), though remove the cells, totally getting rid of the protection circuitry, using custom firmware in a bFlex / Maxflex to protect the cells.

Arf, he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrism
    I use Dell LiIon battery packs for powering my lights too (they are fairly cheap on ebay), though remove the cells, totally getting rid of the protection circuitry, using custom firmware in a bFlex / Maxflex to protect the cells.
    How does the bFlex or Maxflex protect the battery while charging? As I understand it, the greatest danger with Li-Ion batteries is during charging.

mtbr member
    Protection only during the discharge - by setting the min cell voltage at 2.7 - 3.0V

When charging you'll need a specific Lion/lipo charger, maybe with a balancer

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice job! Which LEDs are you using there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Im using Seoul P4 @ 1amp for these.

I agree the heatsink would be more effective on the outside when wind is flowing , but as i had these in a old pc , they do stand up to the job.

As for heat transfer , i dont think the leds suffer atm. The heatsink gets the heat to the outside shell quite effectively just with the 4 sides. I cannot warm my hands at the lights so i assume the heat is going somewhere ( air/steeringwheel).

But a square design with all sides touching would be better ofc. i just didnt find any casing to hold a rectangular heatsink and a round led lens.

T.