Master of None

DIY frame mount battery pack

Anyone come up with a way for mounting a light battery pack to the frame w/o a water bottle cage?

I've seen commercial lights with a bag and a velcro strap, maybe something like that?

I plan to use 6x 18650 cells, probably mounted on the downtube.

Spanish biker
    Hi, you can open a bottle cage and put into the batteries. See you how are the lupine batteries:

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    I have used mailing tubes with velcro straps. Works great and is pretty much crash proof and waterproof. and is lighter than aluminum. I will post pics later if I can

mtbr member
    with pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    cheap water bottle cage and a small digital camera pack from Walmart. The digital camera pack has a loop on the back that can be slipped over the top of the water bottle cage.

Master of None
    Great ideas so far!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    mounted mine in an under the seat pack, just made the wire a little longer and use velcro in two spots to attach to the frame. My skills dictate keeping the weight back as far as possible...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My 4x18650 pack is in a Cannondale Micropod http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=14859 mounted on my stem. Fairly sure you could get 6 or even 8x18650 in there and frame mount it (you do have to build your pack with all the cells positioned parallel to each other rather than end on though).

mtbr member
    I built my 2.6AH pack using 10x AA batterries in series. The pack was built using 2" ABS tubing as a 'form' to mold the pack around. After building the pack, I cut about 1/3 of the tube lengthwise, so it's no longer a tube but a 'U' shape piece of plastic. Stuck the pack to this plastic and attached using electrical tape and heat-shrink. Using a saw and file, I left little tabs in the plastic on either end of the battery and drilled a hole in each tab. The pack is then lowered onto the downtube as an upside-down 'U' and screwed to the water bottle bosses. It's secure, waterproof, relatively light, and the location keeps the center of gravity low. Hope this makes sense as it's kind of hard to explain without a pic...

Good luck and have fun with it.