mtbr member
    Feb 2011

DIY double torch helmet mount.

Well here is my DIY double barrel torch light mount. I bought these cheap off ebay a while ago to give night riding a try. I hated having them on the handle bars. So I started to fiddle around with different helmet mounting positions. I mounted them to the side of my helemet with a couple of rubber bands. that worked alright. They bounced around a little to much. Plus the glare from the lights was a little distacting, seeing how they were mounted right at eye level. So I spent a while trying to come up with a simple alternitive to that setup. And seeing how I don't have any skill with a lathe or milling equipment. I had to find another means of doing it. So here is what I came up with.

This is my first try at this so it is not quite the quality you guys are use to seeing.

Here it is mounted to my helmet.

I tried them out on a quick ride around the house and the placment is great. The beam is right where I want it.They are a little heavy but I think they will work for now. Thanks for looking and any suggestions and thoughts are welcom. After all You can't make it better if you don't know what's wrong to begin with.
    Just remember,Where ever you go there you are...

more carbon=more awesome
    Hi there.

I like them, but I'm quite partial to double barrel designs. One thing I will say before anyone else does is that you probably don't need that dirty great bolt so close to your head. I reckon you could modify the mount slightly to use zip ties or something. It looks like you can tune the beam from spot to flood? Very nice feature to have if I'm right.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks, I to was a little skeptical about the bolt being so close. It actually is about and 1" to 1 1/2" from the top of my head. There is actually a washer wedged into the vent in the top of the helmet. So if I do go ass over tea cups, hopfully it wont make it to my skull. I am looking in to other means of attatchment anyway, better to not tempt fate to much right. Yes they are adjustable beams. I like them and I tend to not ride to fast at night. So they work well for me. The problem is the vents and shape of the helmet is were I am running into mounting difficulty. I will keep testing different things.
    Just remember,Where ever you go there you are...

more carbon=more awesome
    Yep.
    Some helmets are way better than others for mounting lights. I'm just finishing my third custom build of helmet lights, and I've bought a new helmet for each one. My newest helmet is a Giro Hex, and it's actually much lighter and more comfortable than the last two. And it seems to have the best place to mount lights.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.