mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Dinotte Ultra 5 vs. NiteRider MiNewt?

If you were on a budget and had to choose between the $99 Dinotte Ultra-5 and a NiteRider MiNewt Mini-USB Plus for $129, is there one that stands out over the other?

I found several good reviews on the Ultra-5 here at mtbr, but 0 revieiws on the NiteRider MiNewt (unless it's very similar to the MiNewt.X2). I've been looking at getting a light for several weeks now but kept holding out for deals, and now with temps 100+ in the daytime, it's night riding time.

The Dinotte uses AA's while the NiteRider has the advantage of charge-anywhere USB. Both include helmet mounts. For now, I'll probably only stick with one light, and use a princeton-tec $30 headlamp if I really need the 2nd light. Most of the riding will be nighttime, light-technical trail riding.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If your price limited, just get 1 of these and strap it to your helmet.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13336

45min run time on High so get a few batterys, use Medium where possible for 90mins.

3 times the power of either of those light setups SERIOUSLY!!! 700+ Lumens!!

you could get 2 + batterys for the price of your Minewt

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerboy360
    If you were on a budget and had to choose between the $99 Dinotte Ultra-5 and a NiteRider MiNewt Mini-USB Plus for $129, is there one that stands out over the other?

I found several good reviews on the Ultra-5 here at mtbr, but 0 revieiws on the NiteRider MiNewt (unless it's very similar to the MiNewt.X2). I've been looking at getting a light for several weeks now but kept holding out for deals, and now with temps 100+ in the daytime, it's night riding time.

The Dinotte uses AA's while the NiteRider has the advantage of charge-anywhere USB. Both include helmet mounts. For now, I'll probably only stick with one light, and use a princeton-tec $30 headlamp if I really need the 2nd light. Most of the riding will be nighttime, light-technical trail riding.

Any ideas?
    I don't see where USB charging has an advantage over other charging methods. The NR has better mounting systems (including helmet mount) compared to the Dinotte. Is there much difference in light output? Finally, I am surprised the Ultra 5 can still be found, but I did see it for sale on the web. I have a Dinotte and prefer AA batteries over proprietary, but the new NR sure looks decent for the price! I'm glad I don't have to make that decision!
    Last edited by denmikseb; 06-14-2008 at 12:09 AM.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by denmikseb
    I don't see where USB charging has an advantage over other charging methods. The NR has better mounting systems (including helmet mount) compared to the Dinotte. Is there much difference in light output? Finally, I am surprised the Ultra 5 can still be found, but I did see it for sale on the web. I have a Dinotte and prefer AA batteries over proprietary, but the new NR sure looks decent for the price! I'm glad I don't have to make that decision!
    I agree with you in the USB method. What's the point? so you need a computer around always? it's just plain stupid. Do you need to take your laptop for camping now
    Now I STRONGLY disagree with your oppinion about DiNotte mounting system and even more, I think it's misleading. DiNotte mounting system is simpler but in no way of a lesser quality. Do you know ANYONE that has "broken" the O-ring system?? Lupine (one of the most fancy) has an O-ring system... why? because it works and it doesn't move. Now break some NR mounting and we will see how long do you have to wait to get a replacement

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thank you to everyone who's posted in response so far. Sounds like it's a close call between the two...

Hmm, I guess I didn't think through the AA vs. USB enough, and the "New" USB marketing caught me. With that comparison out of the way, I think I'm leaning more towards the DiNotte based on their excellent customer service record, and the fact that I don't need to be near an outlet to get new power (just carry around extra batteries).

The only downside of the DiNotte, so far, is that the $99 version won't come with a long enough power chord to run the light on the helmet, with the power pack in a jersey/camelbak (tho the batteries are light enough you can mount them on the helmet as well).

Since there aren't any reviews specific to the Minewt, can anyone compare it with the Minewt.X2? Would one Minewt be powerful enough for night time easy-technical trail riding?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    I agree with you in the USB method. What's the point? so you need a computer around always? it's just plain stupid. Do you need to take your laptop for camping now
    Now I STRONGLY disagree with your oppinion about DiNotte mounting system and even more, I think it's misleading. DiNotte mounting system is simpler but in no way of a lesser quality. Do you know ANYONE that has "broken" the O-ring system?? Lupine (one of the most fancy) has an O-ring system... why? because it works and it doesn't move. Now break some NR mounting and we will see how long do you have to wait to get a replacement
    I didn't mean to say the Dinotte mounting system was poor quality, just the opposite! The only thing that COULD break is an O ring, and they are easily replaced. The problem I have with it is if you have flat, tapered, curved or other "non-standard" bars, it may be difficult to mount the light so the beam points where you want, or so a cable doesn't run in front of the lens. I have bars that taper from the center so the Dinotte doesn't point straight; if I mount the light on either side of the taper my shifter cables run about 2 inches directly in front of the lens (road bike). I had to build up an area between the bolts on my bar clamp and find a larger O ring, that is the only satisfactory way I could mount it on my road bike. I haven't mounted it on my MTB, but the bars have a little curve coming out of the clamp, so I see a problem with that. I would be happy if they just offered an OPTIONAL clamp system that would allow for more mounting choices, for those of us who need it. Something like their taillight mount, but less clunky and adjustable horizontally. I haven't seen the NR in person, but from the photos I would say it offers a better mounting system for different bar designs, with its ball and socket and O ring system. It appears infinitely more adjustable than the Dinotte 200L or ultra 5. I haven't broken any mounting system, so I couldn't say how long it would take to replace it, but it seems to me a high-end lighting company would sell spare parts and they might even be available through the LBS. Has anyone decided not to buy a Dinotte 600L, or other premium light set, based on the thought that the mount might break? Do they break much?
    Last edited by denmikseb; 06-14-2008 at 03:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Since there aren't any reviews specific to the Minewt, can anyone compare it with the Minewt.X2? Would one Minewt be powerful enough for night time easy-technical trail riding?
    These are much the same.
    Isn't this an old dinotte light? I thought the 200l was the entry model now? The 200l was on sale last month for 99.
    The minewt probably allows you to angle the light L/R, not sure if the dinotte does that.
    These are both marginal for technical off road riding at any decent speed. 100lm isn't a huge amount. If you have a good light already they both make ok secondary lights. I'd be happy with either on my helmet.
    The USB charger, well you can get ipod usb wall warts/car chargers for dirt cheap, assuming wherever you are doesn't have one. Its solves the work/home charging issue and this is probably going to be a huge seller on the commuter market.
    Minewt wins on runtime.

I've done road rides with my minewtX2 on low without noticing, which is probably close to the minewtUSB in output. I've done off road rides with it and on a flat smoothish trail at 20kph you don't need more. On anything else its lacking.

If you don't have any lights get the minewt. It will allow you to do a little riding and if you enjoy it it will make a great secondary.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    My first impression of the Minewt USB was, that it has been desingned/good for commuters as most people have access to a computer at work....don't they??

Going by the the advert at the top of the page they will be $99.99, vitually the same price as the Dinotte 200-AA (when on sale).

The Dinotte would have (claimed) better light output 200 lumen compared to 110 lumen of the NR USB.

ballbuster

USB is pretty cool, I think

Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Just think of riding your bike to work. You can just take the light battery and plug in your desktop or laptop, forget about it all day, and have a fresh battery for the ride home. No charger to carry back and forth from home to work. Plus, there are a zillion after market cig lighter adapters, external batteries for USB devices.

They still include the regular wall wart charger if you really wanna use mains power.

I like that flashlight rig. 900 lumens sounds really optimistic, but heck, I'd be happy with half of that.

I was trying to build one myself, but I think I'm giving up on the idea. Seems to me that it would be easy to drill a hole for a cable to run an external big battery pretty easily.

Does anybody make a non-ghetto helmet mount for it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So, the output of the NR is about the same as the 200L on medium. A good commuter light or a good helmet light for slow, close up work. Not that good for DH or other high speed!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I went ahead and picked up the NiteRider. With the 20% Beyond Bikes coupon ("POPS"), it ended up roughly the same price as the DiNotte, but with an included helmet mount.

Once I have a chance to test this out, I'll try and leave a review here on mtbr. For $100, I may even pick up a second light...

Thanks again for all the info!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I hate to dredge up an old post, but I have been looking into the minewt and found these ignorant remarks like those in the quote. There are a plethora of cell phones and cell phone chargers, GPS units, and other devices, as well as AC chargers that use the mini USB standard. If you don't know, simply ask "why USB?", instead of showing your ignorance.

For example, the Motorola SLVR series take mini USB chargers.
    My Garmin Etrex takes a mini USB power supply.

These are not the only two examples, just the only two that I personally have now. The answer to "why USB" has been answered... so you free yourself from a proprietary charger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I went ahead and picked up the NiteRider. With the 20% Beyond Bikes coupon ("POPS"), it ended up roughly the same price as the DiNotte, but with an included helmet mount.

Once I have a chance to test this out, I'll try and leave a review here on mtbr. For $100, I may even pick up a second light...

Thanks again for all the info!

If you don't listen, why ask? :-)
    The 200L AA version (with helmet mount) is still on sale now for $100, and for that price it is the brightest designated bicycle light (and has the best beam pattern IMHO, but that's of course personal taste). For $100, why not pick it up as the second light... and then do a comparison review...
    A slight hint is below. Can you guess which is which? ;-)

200L spot.JPG
    Minewt_USB-1.JPG

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Now thats the kind of comparison that tells the whole story. I'm not so much interested in AA vs. rechargeable USB as light output.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    is the top one the 200L? what is the lumens?

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Flboy
    is the top one the 200L? what is the lumens?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    the 200L that is on sale for $100.00 is a helmet mount only version with out teh batteries and charger, so all you have to buy is some rechargable batteries? Is this a good helmet light with maybe a miniwet x2 dual as a handle barlight. would the 200L work as your only light?

This thread has got me thinking. I was planning on getting a miniewt usb for a helmet mount, it is cheap and small. But this sounds like a better deal. I am broke, like a lot of people so I have to be as budgeted as possibe.

Thanks (sorry about sorta hijacking)
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    My understanding of the 200L, if you choose to use the system on your helmet you also need to mount the battery pack on your helmet as well? Can someone let me know if this is true?
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The 200L-AA-L-B has a 42" cord so the battery can be placed in a pack or pocket.

The other AA models have a 12" cord and the battery has to be mounted on your helmet.

Either type can be bar mounted. Read the descriptions carefully or call them to make sure you order what you want.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aries14
    My understanding of the 200L, if you choose to use the system on your helmet you also need to mount the battery pack on your helmet as well? Can someone let me know if this is true?
    As far as I Know, the AA series (non Li-ion) you can ordered long or short cable. The 200L Li-ion comes with and extension cable for jersey/camyou can take out to put your battery on the stem