mtbr member
    Jan 2006

dinotte ultra 5 enough light for MTB

I've never riden at night before but I want to. I'm looking to purchase a bike light and through reading numerous articles the dinotte ultra 5 light looks like a great option. I've read that you should have one light on the bars and one on the helmet. I'm going to be riding tight singletrack which would be around 1.5-2 hours long. Should I buy two of these lights?? Supossedly they have upgraded them to 200 lumens so two lights would be 400 lumens is this enough light to ride fast on some off road single track? I've also seen the niterider rage HID light for $279, This would have to be my only light due to cost. Is this a better option? Would one really bright light be better and two not so bright lights? I guess I could just buy on ultra 5 and try it out would 1 be enough?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm using a Dinotte 200L with flood lens on the handlebar and a Princeton Tec EOS 1Watt on my helmet. I find that this combination is enough for general singletracking at night. I have a Fenix L2D-CE flashlight mounted on the handlebar for spot duties and backup in case the Dinotte fails (which it hasn't in the 10months I've used it ) .

A flood 200L on your handlebar and a spot 200L on your helmet would be more than enough for your needs, I just prefer something lighter for my helmet use hence the EOS choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was going to go that route, but Rob@dinotte steered me away from it. I run 2 200L's in the standard confiuration and it works fine.

-D

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I run a 200L flood on my bars and a 200L spot on my helmet and do quite nicely with it. Definitely better than my old 10W halogens, but not quite as bright as my buddies HID setups- but mine is much lighter and uses standard batteries so I can carry extras with me with minimal hassle. I even got a few extra battery holders so swapping them takes all of 10 seconds. Someday when I have the $$ I will probably add a 500L or similar into the mix just to extend my visible range, but for general riding, 2 200L's are plenty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How do you get a flood lense for the 200L from DiNotte?

I've emailed Rob a couple of times trying to get one and am told that the flood lense is a "myth" .

I consider one light on the bar and one on the helmet as the only way to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The flood lens isn't a myth. I got it direct from dinotte when I sent mine in for upgrading. You just gotta tell him you want a flood lens. Here's a link to my dinotte with the flood lens

Dinotte 200L (flood version) vs Fenix L2D-CE

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I did a 24hour race with one of the old 5watts on my bars and a cateye doubleshot on my head. I was actually able to turn DOWN the dinotte to the lowest level during the race since the cateye provided the distance and the dinotte provided the flood. I would recommend some combination of handlebar/helmet but if you can't afford both then the dinotte should be good enough (unless you do some fast decents, then you might outrun the light).