mtbr member
    Aug 2007

DiNotte suitable for off-road

I was reading the DiNotte site and they mentioned how great their lights are for road bikes, but didn't mention mountain bikes. So, now I am wondering if the mounting systems (handlebar and helmet) are secure enough to hold the lights in place on rough trails?

RIDE TO LIVE
    I run a 200L on my helmet and another 200L on my bar. Both are used exculsively off road with excellent results. Light weight, secure mounting and long battery life are the main features. The helmet light is a spot beam and the bar light is a flood, they are a good compliment to each other.

mtbr member
    ditto here but i run two 200L's on my handlebar and prefer it over my HID (Lume).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    2 200L's here as well one on the bar and one on the helmet. These are great lights.

mtbr member
    We run the 200L's on trails all the time. A single 200L is what I'd call the minimum light you can get away with and be comfortable on trails. I would recommend the optional wide optic if you are on tight single track. The O-ring mount is very stable, and easily mounted, absolutely no movement on a rigid bike during a fast rocky shoulder-rattling descent.

Most of the riders run two, one of the helmet, and one on the bar. A few of us run a single 200L on the bar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I tried the 200L on the handlebar alone on the trail last night, and I was very much surprised by how usable it was. It is by no means bright, but you _can_ ride by it, almost as well as by the 600Lwb on the bars. I guess the reason for this is that the 200L has so little light that you are basically riding in the dark, and the contrast between the light and dark areas is not much, so even if you look out of the beam-lit area you can see pretty well what's going on (or maybe the moon was shining last night?). The 600L has so much light that you are riding in a bright lit area, and when you have to look to the sides you are in trouble, because your eyes cannot adapt to the darkness. That is my theory anyway :-]

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the replies, you have answered my question. I have double halogen on my bars (6 watt wide and 10 watt narrow) and am looking for a good helmet light. Right now it is a toss-up between the dinotte or a fenix flashlight. The fenix is nice, but I think the beam may be a little narrow and I would have to buy a charger, batteries and a mount. But it could also be used as a flashlight, and overall this setup would be cheaper than the dinotte. The dinotte costs more, but has a wider beam (I think), is brighter, and is designed for bike use. Both use AA batteries which is a MUST HAVE for me. The Nite Hawk AL-X might be good, but I don't know if it would equal the other 2 in brightness, or if the beam is too narrow for me. Decisions, decisions!
    Last edited by denmikseb; 11-14-2007 at 01:58 PM.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I have severals tactical flashlights (Surefire Z2, 8AX, LED7 and streamlight scorpion LED)
    and also have the Dinotte 200.
    The Dinotte is brighter and has a wider beam pattern (the spot version) than those tactical flashlights

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    I tried the 200L on the handlebar alone on the trail last night, and I was very much surprised by how usable it was. It is by no means bright, but you _can_ ride by it, almost as well as by the 600Lwb on the bars. I guess the reason for this is that the 200L has so little light that you are basically riding in the dark, and the contrast between the light and dark areas is not much, so even if you look out of the beam-lit area you can see pretty well what's going on (or maybe the moon was shining last night?). The 600L has so much light that you are riding in a bright lit area, and when you have to look to the sides you are in trouble, because your eyes cannot adapt to the darkness. That is my theory anyway :-]
    That's why I think that if you ride alone in a dark night, you can ride with almost any light.
    Although I prefer to take my ARC and 200L with me

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks to all. I have learned more from this thread than any other, and you have re-enforced my recent decision to purchase the DiNotte 200L with helmet mount, spot beam, and extension cable.
    Last edited by denmikseb; 11-15-2007 at 06:07 PM.