mtbr member

Dinotte now making a 5w spot?

Reference to this was buried in another thread. It seems that Dinotte is making a 5 watt spot, although I can't find it on their site. Doesn't mention which batteries they run.

This was taken from: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...hlight=5W+spot

Quote:
    [SIZE=1] From : Sales Department
    Sent : Thursday, April 12, 2007 10:36 PM
    To : xxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com>
    Subject : Re: Dinotte 5W light custom

| | | Inbox

WE can make a 5W spor now.

Sent : Wednesday, April 18, 2007 8:19 PM
    To : xxxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com
    Subject : RE: Dinotte 5W light custom

| | | Inbox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 5W Spot is an item we are shipping now, but only online to direct
    customers. The website will have more information on it later, but here is
    a manual. It's 40% brighter than the spec of the old 5W, 25%longer run
    time, and it's a tight 6 degree each side spot.

If you let me know whether you want long or short cord, we can build the
    light and ship it without batteries and charger.

1 light = 155
    2 lights = 280

DELIVERED (both options are without batteries and chargers)

I know this is the li ion manual, but other than run times, it's essentially
    the same as the AA model.

Rob
    [/SIZE]

Tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best to go to the source

I contacted Rob at Dinotte to see if this was true and could he upgrade my 5W Li-Ion.

He said that yes they are offering upgrades. $50 to replace the light engine and $80 to replace the light engine and a new , better battery. I inquired as to what could be better about the battery since the Li-Ion lasts 6/12 high/low now. Have not heard back on that question yet though.

It sounded like you have to contact him directly though since it is not on their website yet.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Yes, Rob indicated that it's $50 for the light and same day turn around. I also asked about a DIY kit to save me not having the light while I waited, but he didn't answer that question.

I think I'll wait until others have some experience with this before I send the light on a trans pelagic trek across the pacific. I am looking for a tighter spot (and brighter would be a great bonus too).

Tim

bumble
    Wombat, read my review. I have the new Ultra 5 light, and I am directly comparing it to the Cygolite Dulacross. I am also uploading beam pattern pictures. I will be out tonight on the trails taking pictures of both beams. Let me know if you would like to see anything in particular for the Dinotte.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Good job!

Hello All

Rob at Dinotte is great to work with. They will in-fact upgrade either an Ultra 3 or an Ultra 5 to the 200 lumens LED for $50 each. It can also be done to the AA powered versions, which I have. I sent all three of my AA powered lights, and for a $150, I basically have 3 new lights. On top of that, they threw in a few extra battery holders, straps, and even an extra helmet mount.

I don't have any beam shots before the upgrade, but the change is substantial. In addition to the spot beam, Dinotte can also put a wide beam lense on the light. As it stands, I now have two spots and one wide beam light. For my commute, I run a spot on the helmet and a wide beam on the handlebar. Should I take them off-road, I will run a spot on the helmet, and a spot and the wide beam on the handlebars. All three lights should in effect give me output near the 500L.

In addition to the boost in lumens, the new LEDs are also supposed to be more efficient, with a 25% gain in run time. I have yet to fully test that.

All in all, great lights and an incredible company to deal with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Does anybody know what LEDs he is using for the upgrade?

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by p97z
    Does anybody know what LEDs he is using for the upgrade?
    I think that for the dinotte ultra 3 will use a seoul p4 u-bin, but the dinotte ultra 5 I have not idea, since the luxeon 5 go to 6,8v and the seoul p4 go with 3,7v....But would are that with the upgrade he change the led and the constant current card, would put the same that the ultra 3....but only are suppositions mine

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

bumble
    I have just performed some testing on the burn times of the new Ultra 5. I am using the Energizer 2500 AA batteries, and the Maha 204W charger which is one of the best on the market. I have confirmed that the burn times are fantastic on these. First set of batteries went 2 hours 38 minutes until it switched to low mode. The second set, same brand, different set, 2 hours 30 minutes. This is far and away better than the stated run time of 100 minutes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I bought a Ultra 5 from Geoman a month or two ago. Is there a way to tell if I have the old bulb and stuff or the new one?

bumble
    Email Rob at Dinotte.