mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Dinotte/Achesalot inspired DIY Taillight - with Pics

Still in progress - I need some help.

I just started with the build and should be ready to test and attempt some beamshots/video comparison when done. I also have a Planet Bike Superflash and a variety of other taillights.

Basically the light is built with the following:
    1" square aluminum tubing
    Red Luxeon III
    NX05 optic
    Dealextreme 5 mode driver
    Pushbutton switch with waterproof boot

I just cut all the aluminum and assembled the heat sync/backing for the star. I used some right angle sections of the square tubing to attach inside the main housing as the mounting point for the star. What I am not sure of is how to attach the optic to the star and how to secure the optic to the housing. (since one is round and the other square) Any suggestions? My first thought was two blobs of clear silicone at the base of the optic and then using clear silicone to "fill in" around the optic and then a slight bead on the face of the housing to attach the plexiglass, then put the whole thing face down to cure? Take a look at the pics:
    From LED Bike Ligh...

below is looking at the back of where the star will mount:

Below pictures are just to show how it will go, nothing is attached for good yet:

Last edited by mjzraz; 11-24-2007 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Fixed broken picture links

mtbr member
    I see no pics.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    I see no pics.

BM
    Thanks for posting - Should be fixed.
    I forgot the pictures are on Google Picasa and you can't just make static links to the images, I could see them, logged in as me to Google, but the links were broken for anyone else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Beamshots and more pictures

With the exception of the plexiglass, everything is together and working. The optic is in place and the area around it is filled in with silicone. When I attached the optic to the star, I think I put too big a blob of silicone because there is a spot on the optic and it doesn't appear to be as reflective in that area.
    The pictures are my first attempt at beam shots or night shots. I put the camera in manual mode set the white to daylight and adjusted the light settings (I think) In all the photos I tried to represent what it looks like in person. Most of the comparison shots are side by side with my light and a planet bike superflash with fresh nimh rechargeables.
    First are the finished housing and battery bag:

Next is side by side beam shots from 10 and 20 ft back (My light on Left - Superflash on right in both photos):

In the following, My light is the left photo, Superflash is the right photo. The difference between the lights was most apparent in this setting. Maybe not as much of a contrast as the photos show, but It was a start contrast:

The last two photos are probably only useful for comparing the two. The difference in person to me doesn't appear as great as it does in the picture. The photo on the right is taken from the back off to the left and it is after I angled the light down to create a wash of light on the ground @ 5 feet behind the bike, but extending for 10+ feet on the ground. I liked the effect both solid and flashing:

I called my light the Planet "Mike"
    Last edited by mjzraz; 11-25-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Added video

mtbr member
    Very nice. I motorist would have to be completely blind to miss that! Either that or they will be hypnotized by it and have an overwhelming urge to drive into the light!!!

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Great job! Makes me want a brighter taillight now...

Here's a thought... I've got a white LuxIII that might have just been replaced (my new light is almost complete). Is there any red optics available, or do I need to find a red reflector to shine the LED through if I want to make a taillight out of it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Did you glue the lens cover onto the tubing? I did that with some RTV and it falls off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Awesome light, beamshots, and video!