mtbr member

Dinotte 200L, Exposure Joystick MaxX 2, or Nitrider Minewt.X2 for helment light <$200

I know there are much better, brighter lights out there, but I have narrowed it down to these lights for my new helmet light. I night ride off-road only about 1x/wk at local singletrack trails in dark forest on way home from work in Portland, Oregon. Trail system is short, so usually do a few loops for a nice 1hr ride. I am coming off of a Niterider 15w halogen light which I've been using for the last 5 yrs, that finally crapped out on me.

Any suggestions only between the lights mentioned?

Thanks,

JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    you should check out mbr member scar's amoeba lights. go to the classified's light section.

he has a 2 x cree q5 model that weighs 150g and doubles the light output on all the lights you have listed here. simple on/off and you get 3 hrs run/charge time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a Dinotte 200L-AAS that I bought for commuting. I have it helmet mounted and I have been going on offroad night rides lately. I am really impressed with it for the money. It kicks the piss out of the Nite Rider MiNewts I've seen on these rides.

Having the AA battery version makes it really easy to pack along a spare set. When I bought the 200L I ordered it without batteries and charger because I could get better ones elsewhere. I went with Sanyo 2700mAh batteries and a LaCrosse charger (which comes with 4 AA and 4 AAA batteries).

I'm looking at options for handlebar mount lights now. The helmet mount is close to your eyes that no shadows are visible.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback Tweezak.

Is your Dinotte 200L set-up without wires or is the headlamp all self contained like the Exposure lights?
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jgusta,

I'm looking into the 200L and I'm not sure if mounting the system on helmet requiers the battery to be mounted on the helmet as well. I'm in the same price range as you, so thanks for posting up the good questions.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    http://picasaweb.google.com/tweezak/...68603823975090

In this pic, you can see my helmet setup. I have the Dinotte on top, a Planet Bike Superflash zip-tied to the back and right below that, the Dinotte battery holder. The 200L-AAS has the short cable which is about a foot long. It's just the right length for what I'm doing. It also works well when handlebar mounted with the battery pack hanging from the stem.

Before you ask, yes...it does make the helmet heavier but with the majority of the weight at the back, it's not that noticeable.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by aries14
    Jgusta,

I'm looking into the 200L and I'm not sure if mounting the system on helmet requiers the battery to be mounted on the helmet as well. I'm in the same price range as you, so thanks for posting up the good questions.
    I have the 200L with Lithium battery and extension cable. The battery goes in a jersey pocket or camelbak. I don't like heavy things strapped to my helmet.
    Last edited by rkj__; 11-23-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here's how i did my 200L, i used the cable off an old mobile phone car charger and got my local hobby/model shop to knock me up a 5 cell pack thus still giving me 6 volts, mah on this pack is 3300 although you can get larger, the battery pack just slots into an old mobile phone case attached to my backpacks shoulder strap.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Dinotte 400L on Sale for $209

For a few more $ this is a great deal and it includes shipping. 400 lumens w/2 lithium-ion battery packs plus hardware to mount light to helmet or bars. Battery mounts nicely on the helmet or you can use the supplied extension cable and place it in a camelback or jersey pocket. Great customer service, warranty, quality, and fast shipping.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aries14
    Jgusta,

I just answered this on another post, but I will put it here as well.

The 200L-AA-L-B has a 42" cord so the battery can be placed in a pack or pocket.

The other AA models have a 12" cord and the battery has to be mounted on your helmet.

Either type can be bar mounted. Read the descriptions carefully or call them to make sure you order what you want.

mtbr member
    I talked with Rob and he set me up nice with the 200L- AA-L-B and the 200 AA. I should be good to go in the near future.

Thanks
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!