mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Dimmer Switch and P7

I have a bedroom light I am building with a P7 LED powered by a 3.6v 3A DC converter and a 2.8A single mode driver. Right now it's on or off but I'd like to swap the switch for a dimmer if I can.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

mtbr member
    unfortunately, you can't dim LEDs like you can incandescents. You can drop the voltage a bit with a rheostat, which will dim the light (similar to a discharging battery) but under a certain voltage (3V for a P7?) the LED will just stop functioning. I see it with my LED dome light in the car - it used to dim all the way down to nothing, now it dims a bit then switches off.

The best way to control current with tiny steps between full power and next to nothing is to get a custom programmed driver that ramps the light up and down as long as you hold a switch down. I'm not 100% certain how they work, but I know DrJones and JonnyC on BLF program drivers so they'd be able to help you. It would probably be cheaper than fitting some kind of rheostat too

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Either buy one of the dimmable led 240 or 110 direct replacements and use as is or break it for parts?

Edit:

Interesting read here - Samsung LED light bulb teardown includes objective dimming numbers | EDN
    Last edited by MrLee; 09-19-2012 at 03:12 AM.