OLDFATSLOW
    Jul 2006

New question here. Digital Headtrip Options

I have a digital head trip (circa 2000) still works, but run time is about 45 minutes max. It is 15 watt with 3 levels of light. I use this with a HID Blowtorch. I would like a little more light with about 2 hours of run time.
    What are my options without buying a complete new set of lights? I would like to keep it under $100 and still have a flat pack to put in my camelback.

Can I convert to LED? Should I?
    Can I go to 7.2 V and a higher AH battery? Will my switch work?

Is there anyone besides Batteryspace.com who sells kits or batteries?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've used "non-smart" batteries with the digital headtrip and it works fine except that the "smart" shut down doesn't work. It just runs out of power and shuts off instead of warning you first by dropping to the low level for a while.

If you are only getting 45 minutes then you have obviously got a less than perfect battery. You can purchase a higher Ah battery for $50- $70 and a 20 Watt bulb, this will get you under $100 and improve available light by about 33%.

An overvolted 20W halogen will give about the same or more light than the NR HID. Its the yellowish light though, some people don't like it as much.

I am no light guru, but I do have alot of NR experience. I've owned just about all of the older lights at one time or another.
    Niner Jet9

Niner Air9

Do It Yourself
    It would cost about $40 to rebuild the pack with 7.2V using new 4500mAh 4/3A cells. That's about the only way to get over 2 hours with that light. The switch will work fine. For NiMH batteries, BatterySpace only sells cheap sub-C packs. I would recommend buying from Battery Station or NiCad Lady. Either one can build the pack for you or sell individual 4/3A cells.

Led conversion wouldn't be a good option with the NR case. If you want to make a light head yourself, e.g. the achesalot design, you can put something together that would be a least as bright and run for over 2 hours for less than $100. You have to be reasonably handy though.
    Long Live Long Rides

OLDFATSLOW
    Jul 2006

more questions

I rebuilt this pack with with batteries from the battery station several years ago.
    But if I add the additional cell to be to 7.2v, will the circuit board that is in the pack be ok? will the charger still function correctly? will it still shut down be fore it over discharges?

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by jspell
    I rebuilt this pack with with batteries from the battery station several years ago.
    But if I add the additional cell to be to 7.2v, will the circuit board that is in the pack be ok? will the charger still function correctly? will it still shut down be fore it over discharges?
    I would skip the circuit board in the pack. You don't need it and NR electronics are flaky anyway. What charger do you have? The 7.2V should be okay on the trickle charger or the microbrute but 7.2V chargers are easy to find and inexpensive.
    Long Live Long Rides

OLDFATSLOW
    Jul 2006
    I use the original NR transformer and micro-brute charger. I just worry about overcharging it and causing a fire/damaging the battery pack.
    Also if I don't use the circuit board, can I damage the pack by running it down to far?

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Good thread. I have a regular headtrip, and am trying to figure out how to get more functionality out of it (brighter, more life). Could I do the same thing that was suggested above and get a burlier bulb and battery pack?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Headtrip upgrade

With the 20W bulb you reduce run time on the stock battery to about 1 hr, 5 minutes. Mine got warm on the plastic housing but never caused damage, so I think its safe, but I'd keep and eye on it in hot weather.

If you are a savvy ebay buyer you can likely buy a 20W halogen bike light for cheaper than the cost of a new battery.
    Niner Jet9

Niner Air9