mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Digi-key Battery Holders

It seems a few people have been asking about the Digi key battery holders and not too much info out there.
    So, I decided to take a chance and try some out.
    These are the MPD type 2 cell holders.
    They are designed to be mounted in some kind of PCB and are equipped with a pin for each battery clip.
    Digi-key Battery Holders-img_1589.jpg

The clips are removable if you want to cut off the pin or solder to them while removed from the holder.
    When you put these holders back to back the pins insert in to the opposite holder and overlap.
    Digi-key Battery Holders-img_1591.jpg

I pre tinned the pins and soldered them in place which also locks the 2 holders together.
    Digi-key Battery Holders-img_1597.jpg

Some hot glue to the sides.
    Digi-key Battery Holders-img_1598.jpg

Then for the 2s2p I connected the pairs with solid copper.
    Digi-key Battery Holders-img_1599.jpg

And solder the Magicshine style cable to the opposite end.
    Digi-key Battery Holders-img_1602.jpg

Container to be decided, but I intend to be able to swap out cells and charge individually if I need to.
    The protected cells I have fit a little tight, resolved this by pinching the tabs a little.
    Digi-key Battery Holders-img_1603.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Digi-key Battery Holders-img_1590.jpg  

Digi-key Battery Holders-img_1594.jpg  

Last edited by JakeS; 09-28-2013 at 10:16 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice build! I have been using the Digikey holders for about 3 years now. Solid item. I use the single cell holder because it has curved lips that really hold the cell tightly eliminating the need for a strap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Nice engineering. I mostly use the 2 cell ones, and have found that nipping the corners off with tins snips makes for a nicer package. I also put a 1" diameter hole in the back to make it easier to push cells out for charging.
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?