mtbr member

Difference Between 120L Dinotte Ultra 5 and new 200L Version

In case anyone else is curious, I asked Rob at Dinotte how could I tell if the Ultra 5 I just bought from REI was the 120L or 200L version. Here is his reponse:

The (200L) beam will be a little bit more narrow, but it’s much better overall on the road – even with the beam change. The light output changes by a factor of 1.3 and that has nothing to do with the beam change.

Take your light, hold it against the wall, (2 feet away) if there appears to be a square beam with a round circle inside and a small hole in the middle, you have the old style, otherwise you have the new. Hard to say what you have at this point.

Thanks

Rob

Now, when shone on a wall, I don't notice a square beam or a darker hole in the middle, but I do notice a small, brighter circle within a larger, less bright circle. To those with the 200L version, does your light create the same brighter center circle beam a few feet from the wall?

Thanks a lot!

Ant

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    with my old light the beam pattern seem tobe alot larger than the new 200l the older light had a larger beam pattern the new one is alot tighter and much brighter

mtbr member
    If you don't have the "hole" in the light pattern (in the middle) you have the new one. It is a noticeable dark spot dead center.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Another difference between the old and the new is the initial power connection. With the new light when you plug in the battery it will flash once. If I remember correctly the old version flashed twice.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. Seems like REI is carrying the 200L version. Awesome!

Ant