mtbr member

Did I screw up the driver or the led's

I just finished a new light, programmed the maxflex and then went outside to compare the new light with my older one. Both lights are triples in custom MR11 housings,one light runs a bflex with 14.8V battery and the other runs a maxflex and 7.4V battery. Now my problem is when I finished comparing the lights I went back into a darkened shed and thought I would turn one of the lights on so I could see where I was going.
    I connected the 14.8V battery to the maxflex light, the leds flashed quickly and then went out. The light will not work now, did I screw up the driver or did I screw up the leds.

Cheers

mtbr member
    I could be wrong but I think it could be the LED's gone. Was the battery fully charged? if so that would be over 16v, enough to blow the LED's if the driver went into direct drive.

mtbr member
    Yes unfortunately the 14.8V battery was fully charged, good news though if it is the leds, they are a lot cheaper to replace than the maxflex, anyway I can test the leds??

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    sounds like the LEDs are toast. did you see them go blue before they went out?

The MaxFlex is a boost regulator - when you connected the battery pack that was higher than the Vf of the LEDs, it probably went direct drive, dumping a bunch of current into the LEDs and toasting them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you have access to the LEDs then hook a meter on the volt range and measure the voltage going to the LEDs with your 7.4V pack feeding into maxflex. If the LEDs are toast then you should see around 28V (assuming maxflex5a or around 24V for older maxflex) - if you do then the maxflex is still boosting and the LEDs are open circuit.

If you see nothing or only battery input voltage at the output then you've turned the maxflex into an expensive fuse.

cheers,
    george.

mtbr member
    Thank you all for your responses,
    George, I will check the leds, thanks for the info on how to check them