mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Dedicated Night ride helmet?

I was randomly wondering how many of you guys keep a helmet that is dedicated for night riding? Already rigged up for lights/batteries etc?

I do, and am contemplating integrating a status LED into my builds, but having the status LED installed in the helmet, not the housing.

random thoughts.

Light freak

I do

but then again I only really ride in the dark

Random thought - how are you going to see the staus LED on your helmet when your helmet is on your head?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was toying with actually embedding it int he foam facing downward along the front edge.

Not a huge honking bright led, maybe even recessed into the hole.

I've just lately realized that status LED's are useless while riding if they're built into the light housing. I can tell what the status of the guy in front of me with a magicshine is, but he'll never know unless I tell him.

If there were a way to see it, almost like a HUD, without taking the lid off, but not distracting either, I'd find it useful.

mtbr member
    I zip tie a black diamond spot headlamp (90g) to my helmet, its a PITA to remove so stays on all the time. Had some neck problems this year so got a second day helmet.
    Surprised at the difference in comfort. Bit annoying when you stay out longer than intended though.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Since the light head is 26g, I leave it on my main helmet most of the time.

mtbr member
    This time of year a light and battery are affixed to my helmet all the time. Every day I commute on trails in the dark one way.

I even put a PT Remix on the dog, both for locating and as a spare if something happens to my light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yep, old lid for night riding, cant be bothered remounting light everytime

mtbr member
    I keep a dedicated helmet with light attached. See my Helmet Light link below my signature for details.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use a go pro camera mount for my light or for my go pro camera. The mount is attached to my helmet with that super 3M adhesive tape. Its so quick to snap it on and off and it just plain works. I have one on my ski helmet which serves as bike helmet on really cold days.