mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Danish 7up XP-G project

Hello everyone

Just needed to show this to somebody else than the missus...

Basically just another 7up XP-G build. This one has emphasis on weight. The aluminium housing is just 52 grammes. Optics are 10 degree Khathod and we use a MaxFlex v5 driver. All seen before, really but hey - this is my first!

From rough sketches over CAD models to the first prototype in the flesh has taken months. But all work has been on a voluntary basis which means that the first three samples have cost me nothing exept for the LED's, optics and driver of course.

Final CAD model. This is rev.15.
    Fra DIY cykellygte projekt

Thermal simulations were conducted as well:

And now the finished aluminium parts have arrived:

Meanwhile the Maxflex is bonding with a small aluminium heatsink which will join the rear cavity in the housing - you can probably see the M2 screw in the last picture already.

Also there's no back plate yet as I haven't decided on how to run cables to the battery pack and switch yet.

More to come, though!

BTW: You can follow our blog on http://www.openproduct.dk if you know any danish. We're a group of volunteers sort of trying to do the same for product development as open source has done for software. It's all non-profit of course.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice machining on that! Take a look at this optic, it has been reported on this forum to produce a better beam pattern for bike use than the Khatod.

http://www.polymer-optics.co.uk/264%...-E%20Optic.pdf

Dirt Deviant
    Looking great!!!!
    Do you already have the mount built up for it?
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the heads-up on the optics, Vancbiker. If we do another revision before we run out of goodwill we might just give it a shot. Meanwhile I'm still trying to glue the Maxflex and its heatsink together. I'm a total newbie here, so I'm probably doing all kinds of things the wrong way.

And no - we're still undecided on the mount. We will probably extend the back plate into an L-shaped bracket that will go almost anywhere. As we optimised on weight vs. cooling capacity we didn't make a flat base on the cylindrical surface on which we could have screwed a typical bar mount. That might have been a better idea but what the bleep... Let's just get on from here :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Very cool concept you have going with the open source. Great to see people helping people.
    Beautiful light. Keep us posted on progress.
    Noticed you have a completed quad optic light on your blogspot. Nice..........

mtbr member
    that looks awesome, I just wish I could read Danish. As odtexas wrote, sounds like a really cool idea. Care to go into a bit of detail about how the project works, that sort of thing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice light. Good work!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I like the design a lot. I have something similar in mind for a 35mm XML triple with a h6flex but I'll be laminating 2mm aluminium plate like I did here Lasercut light for everyman

Doubt I'll get anywhere near 52g though