mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Cygolite TridenX 600 lumens?

Okay, I've browsed through all the light forums and found some info on the Tridenx, but does anyone have a complete review and/or especially some beam shots in the woods? Forgive me if there are some already that I haven't stumbled on. I was leaning toward the Trinewt, but I don't like the weight, battery configuration with the on/off switch (wake up, Niterider!). Price is also almost $100 more from what I've seen.

The Tridenx sounds promising on paper, but just wanted to see what others think. I'd like to buy only 1 light if I can, at least for now, and I ride twisty, rocky, root and rock-laden New England trails (never on the street). I need a durable and semi-bright LED light, so just wondering if anyone uses a Tridenx, and could it be my only light? I would probably only ride at night in the fall, so realistically, only about 20 times a year.

I've talked to Performance and Jensons and they don't put the Cygolite's down, but they talk up the L&M's and Niteriders much more. I've also emailed Cygolite twice with some questions and they're never gotten back to me. THAT makes me nervous about them.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I too am interested in hereing some thougts. After all the reading I've done in this forum and others, and the light manufacturer web sites, I was comparing the TriNewt, Stella 400, Stella 200, Trion 600, Triden X, and Mitcross. There are some wide price ranges and I too was a little skeptical about Cygolite since there are much, much, less discussions and reveiws about Cygolite.

I aggree, I'm not really sure about the on and off switch on being on the TriNewt battery.

Last night, I stopped by my brother's house to take a look at his Cygolite Dualcross Pro (310 Lumens). I have to admitt I was quite surprised at the build quality and features. I really liked the beam distance and with. It really looked more than adequate. It had a battery meter and simple to understand and use settings. Quite surprised to say the least. Cygolite maybe seems to me to be really under rated on quality and price, but I'm no expert at all. Cygolite seems to be a great deal, unless I'm missing something seriously that I haven't read about. I'd be open to hear the cons...
    If I'm not climbing, I'm not riding.

mtbr member
    This might help Cygolite Trion 600 Led

American Icon

They are a good choice

I've ridden with the following lights this year (based on where I work and a local contact).

L&M Arc and SECA. ARC is definatley a classic light, but LED has pushed it back... The SECA was exactly what I had hoped for as far as a tight center spot and good fill light.

Dinotte 600. I know that people on this forum gush about Dinotte, but I have to say it was just a 'good' light too me. Tons of light, but I wish it was used a bit tighter on the trail.

The TridenX. Bought this one on a whim and have been very pleased with it. The battery is sooo tiny, but lasts for 2+ hrs. I usually ride with it (the battery) strapped directly to the helmet and don't feel it at all. The light is much like the Dinotte... just a little less bright. My wife has claimed it as her own and has been happy with it for the past few months. I do wish the mount was more high-tech for the helmet (but hey... it works well), but overall I have been very impressed with the overall build quality.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks Fender! You don't happen to have any night shots of the beam pattern and brightness in the woods or backyard do you? I know it's a little involved to get the true-to-life impression on a camera. Oh well, just asking...

mtbr member
    After as much research as I could do, I decided to buy the Tridenx and the Mitycross. I even call Cygolite and they were very helpful and responsive; they even made it a point to have me to call them if I needed anything.(extra parts, lens replacements, power cords, etc.) Price, lumens, customer service were all factors.

My lights arrived today and to my surprise these lights are AWESOME; great build quality, ease of use, tons of features and everything included that you could need. These lights are way smaller than I expected, really lightweight and are super bright.

I should post some pics. soon... Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You're gonna use the Mitycross on helmet, Tridenx on bars? Let me know how bright that setup is as well as just the Tridenx alone, and if it could be a standalone light. I have to edit my first statement to say that Cygolite did finally respond to my email with some good info. It's still good to hear an unbiased opinion from actual users. Come back and let us know how your first rides go with them (with maybe the elusive bean-shot too) . Thanks GarrettM!

mtbr member
    TrionX fence shot.

[IMG][/IMG]

MityCross fence shot.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sorta blurry pics, better pictures are on their way....

mtbr member
    Both shots are from the same distance but it looks like I got different angles.

The TrionX is much brighter but more diffused

Mity is more of a spot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettM

Mity is more of a spot.
    What is the beam color like (I'm interested in the Mitycross)? Can you compare it to other LED lights?
    I found no information about the LEDs they are using. What manfacturer, what bin?
    Also, how much of a spot?
    Please compare it to something.
    Although if the Trion is indeed the same as the Dinotte 600L, then you can compare the Mitycross to that, the 600L is a well-known light.
    Thanks!
    (wait... Trion or TridenX?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the TridenX and it is ok. It isn't as bright as the Trinewt, but pretty close. If it were me, I would get the Dinotte 400L combo deal for about the same $.

The beam on the TridenX is pretty wide and the build quality is good overall. The battery doesn't last anywhere near where it is claimed to though, which was problematic for me, and the reason I started testing other lights.

In summary, the TridenX is a good light, but there are better solutions out there for the $$.

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettM

Mity is more of a spot.
    The exif shows 1/5s for the TritonX and 1/4s for the mighty. Therefore, in a roundabout way the photos do show the TritonX to be brighter

mtbr member
    First; sorry for the mistake in spelling, its the Tridenx. Second; the beam is very bright and white, I apologize because I have nothing to compare them against at night while riding. Third; when speaking with Cygolite I asked which LEDs they were using and the person on they were using Seoul????

Fourth; I saw the Trinewt in a bike shop and I wasn't impressed because it cost a lot more. The TridenX-xtra has a longer battery life and at $269 I couldn't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Okay, I ended up biting on a TridenX. Found it for $234 at Modern Bike. My inital impression was that the build quality was much better than I thought it would be, and the light and battery are also much smaller than I thought (for some reason, the product pics make them look larger than they are). I like the solid feel of the lightweight metal of the lamp and the compact battery. Definately has a solid, quality feel to it.

I went on 1 ride so far and on the road with streetlights, the light seemed sufficiently bright, but not blazing bright. Once I got into the woods, however, the light seemed to be much more amplified and spilled plenty of light down the trail. I have only used it as bar mount so far. I cannot comment on the run time, as I only was out for about an hour. According to the battery meter on the light, when it blinks slowly, that means "under 20 minutes left". It did this to me at about 45 minutes into my trip, which doesn't correspond to the advertised times. It was only about 20 degrees F when I went though, so not sure if the coldness has an adverse effect on the reading, or if colder temps get lesser runtimes. When I returned home and brought the light inside and turned it back on, it went back to a fast flash which means you have an hour remaining.

Overall, I was impressed, but will be testing it again soon, so I'll follow up with more results. It does pour out enough light where you could use it as your only light, but an additional helmet light would really be the cat's ass, but not necessary.

**EDIT**

I just went onto Cygolite's faq page and this is what they say about cold weather and runtimes. Maybe spawn350 is getting shorter times because it's cold too???:

Q: Why am I getting short run times?

A: Short run times can be caused by the following: weather during use, battery age. care, and charge times.

Riding in cold weather temporarily reduces the battery run time. To counter this, try charging the battery for several minutes right before use to warm up the battery.

Short charge times, may not fully charge a battery resulting in shorter run times.

Older batteries slowly begin losing hteir capacity over time and should be replaced accordingly.

Q: Does cold temperature effect my battery's run time?

A: Yes, cold temperatures can reduce run times as much as 60% depending on the temperature.