mtbr member

Is Cygolite Night Rover a good light?

Is Cygolite Night Rover a good light? I'm looking for a 'first' light. For road riding and riding the mountain bike trails? thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

It's OK...

The Night Rover is pretty good light for what it is intended for. I used it in conjunction with a 10 watt Night Rider Evolution helmet mount two year ago in a 24 hour race. The night rover is decent as a bar light due to the "split"optics (one horizontal flood, one light higher up the trail). While not the ideal light for trail riding off-road, it works well in conjunction with a brighter helmet mounted spot light.

For road use the Night Rover works very well. Again the "split" optics (for lack of a better term) help with being on the road or bike path.

I have the 12 watt version (two 6 watt bulbs) that I got on clearance for use when commuting in winter. It works great for that purpose. If you are doing any serious single track at night, either get a bright helmet light to use in tandem with it, or look for a brighter light. For occasional night single track and road riding it should be fine.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'm looking for a decent light to use for that occasion night, dusk, dawn ride. The price of this light was what caught my eye.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trek7100
    Thanks, I'm looking for a decent light to use for that occasion night, dusk, dawn ride. The price of this light was what caught my eye.
    Mine is about 4 years old, when they came with a Ni-Cad water bottle battery. It still has the original bulbs and battery and works just fine. I even use it for some trail riding but for the rough stuff you will also need a good helmet light. I know you can also get a helmet mount for this light, but I think it is more suitable on the bars, with a seperate helmet light.