person

Cygolite HiFlux 200 vs. 100

I should be getting a dual cross 200 in the mail soon, and I'm looking for a helmet light to supplement. I saw the HiFlux and I was wondering is the battery is the only difference between the two is the battery. If thats the case would it be better to get the 100 and use rechargeable C cells, or would I eventually spend more on replacement batteries?

-Thanks, Dave
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

person
    just sent cygolite an e-mail and get auto response stating they won't get back to me until the 2nd or the 3rd, so any help I could get before then would be appreciated.

-Dave

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

weirdo
    According to Harris Cyclery (Sheldon Brown), that`s the only difference.I`m trying to get a little more info, myself. I`ve read nothing bad but not much good. I think I`m going to order one from Pricepoint (the 100) and use the NIMH bats that I already have from a camp lantern. At $55 it ought to do at least a reasonable job. Note- it doesn`t say anything about a helmet mount. That`s what I want, so I`ll have to rig something up if I get one.
    Recalculating....

person
    I ended up getting the Hiflux 200. When I added up the whole total for getting a set of rechargeables + the light I decided on 200. Cygolite responded to my e-mail after the fact and they backed up what I thought, the battery is the only difference. I ordered through my LBS and they got the helmet mount for me. Through them it was $24. When I e-mailed Cygolite they said you could get the helmet mount direct from them for $15. If you've already got the rechargeables than I'd say go with the 100. I took my lights (Dual Cross 200 & HiFlux 200) out for my first night trail ride and they worked amazingly.

-Dave

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

weirdo
    That was fast! Glad it works- I just ordered one after my last post. It`s nice to know there are helmet mounts available too in case mine turns out too hokey to trust.
    Recalculating....

person
    You'll be happy w/ you purchase. Here's what they look like when they're on and mounted

http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/50...m/DSC00763.JPG

http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/50...m/DSC00762.JPG

-Dave

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

weirdo
    Nice. Thanks for the pics. I`m sure it`ll work better than my current night riding equipment which only really works about one week per month- I have to schedule night rides with a fishing forecast!
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Well, I have it now and I`m reasonably happy, but not jumping for joy. It puts out enough light more or less see the trail up to about thirty or forty feet.- good, but nothing to write home about. The focusing is also "acceptable". I have a few issues with the design of the shell. Mainly, I think it could very easily have been made a lot smaller without sacrificing anything. Also, I don`t like the rear mounting method. It looks funny that way and I`m not sure if it`s going to stay where I put it or droop down on a bumpy ride. Finaly, the mounting plate is held on by a single sheet metal screw into an untapped plastic hole and I`ve already stripped the threads so that it won`t tighten up right. I considered sending it back on exchange because of the stripped threads, but decided I don`t need it to pivot anyway, so I just glued the plate in place. So, definitely some bad points, but I doubt I could have gotten much better for $55. At least not an "out of the box" model. Next time I`d like to try building my own. It looks like fun and there are plenty of ideas on this forum. I don`t know jack about wiring, but I could probably just copy one of the designs that other folks have already posted. I can make shells and mounts on my own since I have access to a comlete machine shop.
    Recalculating....