mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Cygolite HID Replacement Battery?

I have a Cygolite z-force HID with a dead Ni-Cad battery. I am looking to replace the battery, most likely with a NiMH or Li-ion. The manufacturers replacement cost is pretty high, so I am considering ordering a battery from batteryspace.com.

There are a quite a few batteries to choose from on their site, with varrying voltage and amp-hrs ratings. I know my battery is 12v, And I am pretty sure my HID lamp is 12 W, although I don't know for sure. They did recommend a 12v 4.2 AHr NiMH battery including a smart charger for $55. However I got scared after reading some posts on the batteryspace forum about people blowing their lights from hooking up wires with the polarity reversed or not using soft starts etc.
    The last thing I want to do is blow my HID lamp.
    I will have to wire in a switch also if I buy this battery since the OEM battery had the switch built into the battery case.

Has anyone used their batteries? Any recomendations on how I should proceed?

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    The first thing you have to do is find out if the factory battery had electronics inside it for dealing with the soft start- I've never done anything with HID so I didn't know it was a requirement. It's most likely all the electronics are in the lamp head, but you have to be sure. Assuming all you need is a battery, then all you have to do is check the polarity and wire in the switch- pretty basic stuff if you can use a soldering iron. (Never trust the color of wires on the battery. Black is commonly negative in DC systems, but positive in AC systems. I've seen designers reverse these as suits their fancy, and what they 'know' should be right- check with a multi-meter. [It's quite likely your factory battery has enough life to tell you its polarity, even if it won't light your lamp.])
    To the troll mobile, away...

Do It Yourself
    Long Live Long Rides