mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Cygo DualCross/Dinotte 200 AL Combo

Hi, I'm new to the world of lighting but have decided that I should go LED all the way.
    My plan is to go for a strong handlebar system matched with a lighter helmet mounted one for backup. The DualCross sounds like a very capable light, it has the
    equivalent of 20 watt halogen on high. It uses the same technology as the TRidenx but has 2 bulbs instead of 3. Its $100 cheaper also. I want to have enough light to do serious trail riding. I was thinking of matching the DualCross with a Dinotte 200-AL for the helmet, with the rechargeable AA batteries.
    I was wondering though, if this is a good match. They both need to be LEDS, and I'm not sure if the Dinotte is or not. From their website it seems to indicate they might actually be halogen, not sure. Any thoughts or suggestions on this setup ?
    Would it be better to forego the Dinotte and just get the TridenX by itself ?
    Thanks

BBW
    mtbr member
    the 200L is a LED. I think that either way you will have 3 LEDs and it is better if you have light on the bars AND helmet. Dual X + 200L would be a good combo IMO

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the reply. So you don't think the DualX will wash out the Dinotte ?
    One other question. Do you think the Dinotte can handle being in the elements ?
    I might be moving to a wet climate later this summer, the Dinotte doesn't look like it's that well protected from rain, but I'm a noob to lights so I don't know that much
    about this.
    Anyone have experience riding in wet weather with lights ?
    I know the Cygo is good. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The Cygolites Dual cross looks to be an interesting set-up. However I've never seen one in person. The user reviews look promising though. Unfortunately there is no Pro review on the Dual Cross. That's probably because they probably won't send Francois one that he can review. I've looked at their web site and there is a photo of the beam output however I personally never trust any photos ( or promises ) that are put out by the manufacture.
    Cygolites claim that the Dual Cross is equal to a 20watt halogen. That's a pretty stiff claim and *would depend on the bulb and battery of the halogen.( *Note: a 20 watt Jett lite puts out about 500-600 lumens. I doubt the DCross can match that. ) It seems now that there is a newer version of the Dual Cross called the Dual Cross Pro. It is claimed by Cygo lites to have the output of a 30 watt halogen. I really don't know what to say at this point as no one has provided any beam shots that I know of. If I were to buy one though I would surely buy the Dual Cross Pro Li-ion rather than the Dual Cross Li-ion simply based on the reviews. It looks as though the Pro version has a better mount and brighter up-graded LED's. One of the complaints of the DC Li-ion was a cheap mount and a beam pattern that was not very wide. It seems Cygo Lites addressed these problems and created a better mount ( according to reviews ) and is using brighter LED's. They also include a light diffuser if more spill is required. ( so I have read ) I have no idea how all the stuff works but for $200 you get a Li-ion battery with about a 3 hr run time on high. It also has different levels of output including some strobe features. Not bad for a two LED set-up. If you buy one you can tell us how it works. If you get the Dinotte 200L it will work fine as a helmet light ( or bar ) and should be no problem in wet weather. Now as far as the Cygo Dual Cross washing out the 200L...that remains to be seen but I wouldn't worry about that. My 600L bar mounted definitely over powers my 200L helmet mounted but that's only when the handlebars are pointed straight! As soon as those handle bars are pointed another direction, that's when the 200L becomes your life saver. Oh, in case you didn't know, the 200L Li-ion is on sale right now for $179 USD. If you get the Dual Cross Pro, save the receipt in case you need to return it. I really wish Francois would come out with some more Pro reviews. I'd like to see some beam shots of the Princeton Tec Switchback's as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I will follow up once I've gotton it. (bad English,I know)
    My logic in going with the DualX is that the $100 that I'm saving over the
    TridenX could be used toward a helmet light. Even though neither is super strong,
    I would still have one on the bar and one on the helmet.

BBW
    mtbr member
    What Cat-man-do said. If you point the dualX at the same direction os the 200L, yeah probably they will wash it out but the idea behind a helmet light is to help you see through corners when your handlebar is pointing in other direction.
    As far as water proofing, I have read that there's no problem with the AA 200L BUT YOU COULD ALWAYS PLACE THE BATTERY POUCH IN A ZIPLOCK bag or something like that (I just pressed the caps lock )
    I had Li-ion DiNottes and no problem with rain
    Enjoy and report back

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Now I'm wondering if it would just be better to go with the TridenX.
    The DualCross reviews are mostly road reviews. I want one that's going to be safe
    to do general nighttime trail riding. The trails in my neck of the woods tend to be kind of rocky, you definitely want solid illumination, good depth perception.
    Oh, decisions, decisions I will definitely report back either way, tho !
    Thanks again, the info is much appreciated.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Well if you got the money, I'll go with a trident X AND a 200L for the helmet... THAT would be the bomb remember it's an investment in safety AND pleasure