mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Cutting down a 20mm star??

Just getting ready to start a helmet light and really like the 3/4" tubing idea. Can I cut down a 20mm star to fit or should I get a smaller star? Thanks to everyone for all the help and great ideas you all share here!
    Jim

mtbr member
    I use a grinder.
    You can see the circuit traces on the stars, leave them bits alone! Make sure you leave a flat back on the star too.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I use a die grinder or I remove the led and reflow it on another smaller star

mtbr member
    just buy smaller stars - there are lots of sizes to choose from; 16, 14 and 10mm are the more common smaller sizes. There can often be more choice in tints and bins too as these are what most torches/ flashlights use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It looks like a 16mm star will fit in the 3/4 tube.

Take a look at the build by schnottus. He used 16mm stars that seemed to fit in perfectly. Do a title search for: 4x xpg road light and 2x xrc tail light ($100 build)

I can't post the link because my post count is not high enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the help guys! I will look to see if I can find a XPG in a neutral white on a 16mm star. Reflowing makes me a little nervous but I guess I could give it a try if needed. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anderson is correct - I did use 16mm stars in my 3/4 tubing lights. I did have to very lightly touch the edges with a hand file (just one or two passes) to make it fit perfectly. I would highly recommend going this route as it makes centering the led in the tube a non-issue. The only issue then is there's no room for screws to attach the star however if you are using jb-weld or a thermal epoxy it's not a concern.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use the Nibbler. Trims stars easily.