mtbr member

Custom PCB supplier in UK?

Hey everyone

Has anyone used a custom PCB manufacture to make their boards? I need a board made up with 20 Cree XP-E / Gs on it.

Could do it myself but the board needs to be metal to allow for heat transfer and I dont think I could be 100% accurate.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks

mtbr member
    What the hell you making now

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    This sounds scary...I'm bookmarking this one.

mtbr member
    Chris! Remember the 6 MC-E beast I was planning?? Well when the XP-G came out, I decided on 24 LEDs, a mix of Gs and Es....

24 was right on the limit for the hipflex so I settled for 20! I need the *flex driver to make use of a unique system which will be announced when its finished. Otherwise I could have used the hyper buck.

I dont fancy soldering 20 bare emitters, so need a PCB made up. Only problem is that I need ONE, not the one hundred minimum run required by most companies. Well I need two, one with 15 emitters and one with the remaining 5.

I have been planning this for nearly a year now, so chelboed, you may have to wait a bit longer!!

Will only get permission from the Long Haired General to get a mill, after I have paid for our wedding

Rep Power Infinity +2
    You'd better carry a fire extinguisher with you to put out the spot fires your light will cause when lighting up the trail with 20 xpg's.

This might sound silly but have you talked to you local university. I have friends in the electrical engineering department over here that can make boards and I would assume mount the components as well. Probably worth talking to them with a bribe of a slab of beer of bottle of scotch (i'd start with beer 1st)

mtbr member
    I think I will need shades too!

That's a good idea about the uni, will look into that. Thanks!

I also remember Cutter in Aus making up an MC-E board for someone, the thread is around somewhere. Fingers crossed

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I was speaking to cutter the other day about the 7 up boards and they are more than happy to put a mix of xpg and xpe's on there for me just to achieve the correct colour.

WeLight will be able to tell you if it possible.

mtbr member
    Have you had any luck in finding a pcb manufacturer?

If not, I noticed this at led-tech.de:

May be of some use...Hmmm 30 leds, dont get too carried away!!!!!!!
    Last edited by bumphumper; 06-09-2010 at 03:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Well I spoke to Mark at Cutter and the tooling alone for a board is $200 to $400!!!

I think I'll just have to mount them directly to the housing. On the underside of the XP-G emmiters I noticed there are solder pads. How would they be mounted to allow for good heat transfer without shorting the pads out?? Even by using paste I'm sure 15v at 2.8A will be enough to jump that gap in the paste......

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

PCB supplier

Hey mates!

I was just surfing on the internet and found out that you had a request for PCB right? You are in UK, and i am actually working for UK manufacturer of PCB, MPCB and FPC.

If you have interest in this product, please send me an e-mail to pavels.zascitnikovs(at)gmail.com

We have no minimum order and can manufacture as much as you want from another factory in China. If the quantity is big =)

Go ahead and write me a message to the above mentioned e-mail. I will answer you ASAP.

Looking forward hearing from you

Best Regards,
    Pavels Zascitnikovs

Sales Representative

Spirit Circuits Limited

Cell: +86 134 1829 4268

Tel: +86 0769 3338 7990

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You are actually referring to a 2 years old thread, but it's good to now we have other options too.

mtbr member
    hey, I only just notice that Toaster, thanks for pointing that out

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Old, but good thread.

Since I have done this a couple of times, you basically have two options for boards:
    - prototype boards.
    Just the bare FR4 material with the top and bottom copper layers. No soldermask, no silkscreen, nothing. The up-front setup fees are a little bit lower.

- production boards with all of the layers/extras
    Up-front setup fees are always higher, but these are much easier to use/solder.

The thing to keep in mind is that just like the example above from Cutter, there is an NRE (non recurring expense) in setting things up just to make ONE board. Then you pay per each board based on size/layers/complexity.

So one board might be $100-150, but for each additional board it might only be $5-10, but as the number of boards increases, the cost per board gets lower and lower. When you make the jump to 50, 100, 250, 500 boards, the price per board is dramatically lower. BUT, the setup fee is still the same. That is what makes it expensive when you only need a few boards made.

So pricing is:
    - setup fee (fixed amount given the design)
    - price per board (the more boards ordered, the cheaper per/board price)
    - shipping charges

And this assumes you did the schematic/circuit design and did your own board layout and have Gerber files to send to the board shop. If you don't have your Gerber files, then you need to pay somebody to create the board layout for you, which easily could be higher than the NRE/setup fees. That is likely why the pricing from Cutter was as close to $400. Most/all boards that I have manufactured so far typically cost between $130-$150 for the NRE/setup costs.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Will