Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Custom P7 Light Build (Photos)

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  HuffyPuffy 
#1 ·
Just about finished my custom light build, so thought some of you may be interested to see it.

I'll start off with saying that this is my first build and I'm not an engineer ;-)

Design around a SCC P7 with 52mm DX P7 Reflector, access if via a removal rear section.

P7 will be mounted on to a heatsink in the middle. Driver boards on the reverse.

60mm aluminium with 5mm walls.

End cap welded in place. (this will be machined smooth)

Front and back sections test fit and testing mount.

P7 Mounted to the heatsink / bulkhead.

Heatsink / bulkhead mounted in the main body and driver installed for testing. (Boards will be secured to the reverse of the heatsink).

Main body with heatsink / bulkhead removed - painted.

End cap - painted but not cut / polished. The hole is one of two which keep both parts together, it is also used to mount the mount bracket.

Assembled

Mounted

Not got any 'action shots' yet, currently waiting on some new cells.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for sharing. Very nice work there.:thumbsup:

The 52 mm reflectors sometimes are a little spotty. Some people really like that. Some people prefer floody light.

A 35 mm reflector can be either depending on which is used, plus allows for a slightly smaller build.

Nice welding skills there. Your fit and finish looks first rate.

Hope to see more lights and beam shots.

Welcome to the arms race and great first post.:D

#3 ·
Thanks, I'm happy with the results, it is not as fancy as some of the nice milled ones I've seen on here, but is not as big as it might look in the photos, although you wouldn't want to mount it on your helmet!

Think I'd like to try something different next, maybe something with optics rather than using a reflector?

#4 ·
Not too many optics choices for the P7. Mainly reflectors that I have come across.:madman:

The MCE or the SST-50 have many more choices for optics.

MCE is more easily available in different temperatures/colors and usually a little easier to get hold of.

The SST-50 will give a smoother spot beam.

Great light and don't worry about the mill thing. I just use a table saw and small drill press. Lights come out great.

I just need to learn to weld aluminum, well that and get a mig.

The driver on the right looks like the DX 2400mA 1 mode.

Not sure what the left driver/board is.

Did you get the C or D bin P7?

Good thing about the light being a little large is plenty or surface area.:thumbsup:

#6 ·
I was thinking MC-E, but not really looked into those yet, so need to do some more reading.

The driver is the 5 mode DX board, which I believe is the same as the other one with the additional modes.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20329

I originally split it apart so it would fit, but the top board gets quite hot, so glad I did.

The P7 is a C bin.

I don't think my picture shows the size well, the actual unit is only around 60mm in length, about the same size as a maglite head :)

#10 ·
Great work on the welding! I wish I had the skills to do that, from what I have been told, aluminum is difficult to weld, really sounds like an art and a science.

Given the size of the reflector it does not seem that big. I think most folks around here (myself included) prefer the smaller lights though, unless it is packed full of LEDs. If the heat is a problem, you could always cut some fins in it too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.