mtbr member
    May 2008

Custom mr16 housings

I've had these for a bike light project back when HID's were the ticket. I think I have more projects than time because they've been waiting for me for more than 1.5 years, and I still don't ride at night because I don't have a light.

What's the best application/use for them gentlmen. I'm open to ideas as I'm not sure what are the best options out right now.

They're aluminum, built in the US by my machinist. I polished up one of the screw on cap just to see how easy they'd be to buff out. I think I'll be scotch briting them as I don't really care for the polished look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom mr16 housings-housing1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Are you looking to sell some of them?

What is the internal diameter of the enclosure?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Can you post the drawing of this housing?
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

mtbr member
    May 2008
    No drawings sorry. These are made specific for a MR16 halogen. I test fitted one last night and the rim of the light and the bezel of the housing are precisely mated.

When I screw the cap on there is enough room for a piece of glass to cover the bulb and a valet foe an O ring. It looks like there would be a double seal if the correct oranges were sourced. One up by the glass in the front and another at the base of the threads on the housing.

When I peer into the mounting hole with a bulb in place I can see .25" of space from the prongs of the bulb to the rear interior dome of the housing.

I've considered building a couple of them up, or trading them off for a working light System so I don't have to tinker with them. Or, if can't find the time to play with them I'd give a couple them to a pro DIY who wanted to finish the the lot of them in trade for his labor? I'm open to ideas, and I'd like to see them put to use.

Does a drop in Cree board exist for a mr16? Think I could get 7 LEDs to fit in there?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Zemike, your link to the battery holders doesn't work. I like the idea of charging cells individually then popping them into a battery holder for use with the light. Can you post a working battery holder link for me?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    They were made for the offroad industry if that helps. I'm not sure if it's a standard stem mount or what, but there's obviously a faced surface and threads burly enough to handle the rigors of an offroad truck machined into the housing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Here is the link: http://mike.baikov.ru/18650/
    But I am moving to a new website: http://www.easy2led.com
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you could post dimensions ie front to back and I'm sure you will get a lot interested parties here. Being an MR16 that does indeed allow for the 7up cree MCP and also would allow for large reflectors for the XML led. Is the back face flat or domed raised in anyway?
    Just give us the dimensions and I'm sure you'll get some takers. How many do you have?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Is there a drop in 7up pod that I could buy already put together?

The inside is domed identical to outside. 1/8" thick housing all around, I'll measure the depth tonight. School me on what the depth has to do with the reflectors? I thought the 7 up lights were pretty flush with the face of the housings?

help with the zip please
    you need a flat surface to mount the "pod" to otherwise the LEDs will cook themselves in no time at all. They produce a lot of heat that must be dissipated

mtbr member
    May 2008
    After 2 weeks of trying, I still haven't gottn' to them, I simply don't have time to deal with my projects, and I'm kidding myself, thinking I'm going to finish any of these. I'd rather they go to somebody who has more time than $ and will put them to use.

$11 and they're yours I'll ship them for free. I hope the mods don't get sideways on me as this is more to help out the next guy. First guy(s) to paypal sean@lorenzindustries.com wins. I want pics of you guys using them when you're finished putting something together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to Sean. I ordered two of these housings and he shipped them the next day. They were well packed and he was great to deal with. If you think you might need them, he is great to deal with.

Some have asked for dimensions.
    inside diameter: 1.90 inches
    outside diameter: 2.230 inches
    total length: 2.5 inches (with cap screwed on)
    Depth to 'shelf' inside: .840 inches

The screw on head is the same as a maglight. I took my mag bezel off and it screwed right on.

The screw is metric. I beleive it is a 7X1 but I'm not positive.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Last edited by c670809; 05-09-2011 at 06:30 PM.