mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Custom Machined Light Housings

Hey Folks,
    I'm a machinist by trade, trail-riding mountain biker by night. You just can't beat blazing down pitch black trails in the quiet night IMHO.

What I'm looking for is some side work. Do you have some ideas for a light housing or any other accessory but don't have the tools to manufacture it?
    I can help.

This way, I can help people out and also make little extra income to help offset the cost of my hobbies.

I'm not really looking for any production work. more like custom components.

I can help with designing also. I have the software necessary for modeling and mechanical drawings as well as 15 yrs experience in manufacturing.

I've designed, machined and built my own light.

Simple but cool .... I can make yours more or less intricate, however you envision it.

Here is mine:

recognize the slowness
    very simple and clean.

Does it heat up much or does the mount help dissipate via the bar?
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks,

To my surprise, It doesn't get very hot considering it puts out ~600 lumens. It get's warm if I'm standing still but not really hot to the touch. I'm running the LED's hot also, just under 1000mA.(1000mA is their rated max)

It has a decent amount of thermal mass (and I guess enough surface area too) which helps to dissipate the heat as well as nice surface contact on the handlebar to transfer the heat as you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Very clean design sir

I could possibly use some help...

I am looking for something in the 2200 lumen range that is approx 25x25x48mm that's helmet mount and runs in the 50C range.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    Very clean design sir

I could possibly use some help...

I am looking for something in the 2200 lumen range that is approx 25x25x48mm that's helmet mount and runs in the 50C range.

Thank you!
    That's a LOT of Lumens for such a small space

Do you have an electrical design that can meet those specifications?
    With the size of the packaging, heat dissipation could be a issue also. unless........you ride really fast

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    !
    Is that a round hole under the square switch on the backplate??

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yes, it is a round hole. The switch body is round with an o-ring against the square face. My machines are cnc vertical machining centers . the possibilities are endless :-)
    Last edited by michael.su; 06-28-2010 at 04:10 PM.