mtbr member
    May 2007

Custom helmet mount for magicshine mj-880 using go pro mount

I ride with a pro-tec style helmet and couldn't figure out how to mount my magicshine mj-880 to it with the supplied helmet mount other than using velcro. I didn't think velcro would be strong enough so I decided to try and make a custom mount using an extra go pro mount I had. I work at a dental lab making fake teeth so I have access to different types of acrylics, so went about making one using essentially the "lost wax" casting type of process. Here is how it turned out.

First I made a model of the bottom of the light out of stone after using a silicon duplicating material. Then just waxed up what the mount would look like and made sure it fit the go pro mount.

Then I invested the waxed up mount in a duplicating material and boiled the wax away and poured it up using a clear dental acrylic.

It took some grinding to get it to fit the little tabs on the light but after a while got it to fit. Seems strong, and I can adjust the light up and down so that it still hits the trail the way I want it too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Very cool and resourceful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Looks very nice.

You are going to like or probably hate this :
    https://www.candlepowertech.com/store.html

I was considering machining some aluminum to build a set of go pro tabs for a diy light of mine than I found the above link. The trail torch stuff matches up with my go pro mounts perfect. The above link above has a part for 8.50 and includes screws.

The gopro mounting system is great.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjay View Post
    You are going to like or probably hate this :
    https://www.candlepowertech.com/store.html

I was considering machining some aluminum to build a set of go pro tabs for a diy light of mine than I found the above link. The trail torch stuff matches up with my go pro mounts perfect. The above link has*a part for 8.50 and includes screws.
    The only problem with that mount is it won't work with the mj-880. I would still have to make another adapter just to get it to work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by awareham83 View Post
    The only problem with that mount is it won't work with the mj-880. I would still have to make another adapter just to get it to work.
    Yes that is a perfect fit to the magic shine.

mtbr member
    Brilliant! I have a scope at work I use for tricky soldering, I've made bits from thermoplastic, but never thought of acrylic for mounts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Aware,

Would you be willing to sell something like this, or is too much work? That is exactly what I need, but I don't have the material like you do to make it work.

Bikerjay,

I don't see how that part from TrailTorch will connect the MJ-880 to a Go-Pro mount. Am I missing something?

Thanks - BS

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That is totally awesome - nice job !!!