Thread: Cree Xp-e Hew

mtbr member

Idea! Let's talk about CREE XP-E HEW

did anyone tired CREE XP-E HEW in flashlights? Any beamshots? If none, I'll be the first (just got a bunch of XP-E HEW R5 139lm/w, discussed here (scroll to the bottom) http://www.lux-rc.com/view.php?p=con...ines/order_now )
    Last edited by quazzle; 02-11-2011 at 03:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Welight at Cutter highly recommends against this XPE being used in flashlights.
    There is a thread on CPF, if you feel like looking for it, going into some detail of the emitter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Welight at Cutter highly recommends against this XPE being used in flashlights.
    But yes, we would all love to see how they do
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    I just had some samples assembled to performed a touch test - there's nothing which would worry me now. Probably because I use 3 leds in cluster, all with different orientations so it provides some mixing, I cannot see any mere color artifacts, I'm going to test it with 3 optic types (Carclo narrow clear, frosted narrow and medium).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    But yes, we would all love to see how they do
    Too true..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Depending on how the color separates out when focused, this looks like it would be a good LED for a handheld aspheric flashlight, like a small EDC...not a bike light. Because the phosphor coating covers the whole package, the effective die size is much larger, which means it won't be the same beam pattern as the XP-E...in fact it will be wider than the XP-G. However, the entire circular footprint under the dome produces light, so you get a circular emitter instead of square. Thus, with an aspheric lens you could focus it down to the emitter as tight as possible and it will be a perfect circle instead of a square die.

Even that will depend on how well the color distribution is handled in the lens, so it may not even produce the perfect circle that most people don't even care about anyways. The only reason this exists is for commercial lighting modules that are have mixed LEDs and major diffusing optics because they're cheaper to produce in this package at this efficiency and color temperature. If you're building a light for throw you'd still be better off with standard XP-E and for mass output/flood you're better off with the 1.5A max drive and lower color temps of the XP-G.

At least that's my impression of this particular LED.
    "I applaud your stupid idea because it is genius." - Eric Sovern, Surly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aTomOfAllTrades
    ...in fact it will be wider than the XP-G.
    can't confirm that, at least when 10mm carclo used. I'd say it somewhere in the middle between XP-G and XP-E, wider than XP-E but still more narrow than XP-G. I'm installing the screen now to perform more accurate measuring, I'll post the beamshots asap. Also, HEW renders more "soft" hotspot, it looks more like a Gaussian distribution, compact intense spot in the center which smoothly decades

mtbr member

taken from discusstion at http://www.lux-rc.com/view.php?p=con.../3UP_selection

the premininary beamshots of (from left to right)
    XP-E R2 WD 6000K (cool)
    XP-E HEW R5 1C 6500K (cool)
    XP-G R4 4D 4500K (outdoor)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You should toss a xp-g r5 in that line up