Thread: Cree XLamp XM

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Cree XLamp XM

Looks like we get a new toy later this year.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cree Announces Revolutionary New LED Platform Delivering 160 Lumens per Watt

XLamp® XM LEDs Are Most Efficient Lighting-Class LEDs in the Industry

DURHAM, N.C., April 12, 2010 — Cree, Inc. (Nasdaq: CREE), a market leader in LED lighting, announces a breakthrough new lighting-class LED platform, the XLamp® XM LED. This new single chip LED delivers record-breaking efficacy of 160 lumens per watt at 350 mA. The LED also delivers 750 lumens at 2 A, which is equivalent to the light output of a 60 W incandescent light bulb at less than 7 watts.

“This new platform continues Cree’s well-established record of turning R&D innovations into products,” said Chuck Swoboda, Cree chairman and CEO. “We continue to set the pace for LED performance, establishing new benchmarks that make you wonder why anyone would consider last-century’s energy-wasting technology.”

A cool white XM LED driven at 350 mA can produce 160 lumens at 160 lumens per watt. The new platform has a larger footprint than Cree’s XP family and also offers the unique combination of very high efficacy at very high drive currents. At 2 A, an XM LED produces 750 lumens at 110 lumens per watt. The thermal resistance of the XM platform is 2 degrees C per watt— an industry-leading technology breakthrough and a 350 percent improvement over Cree’s flagship XLamp XP-E LED.

Samples of the XLamp XM LEDs are available for order with standard lead times and commercial availability is targeted for Fall 2010.

removing nudity
    Oooh, I've just found a use for that hipflex I have sitting in the garage

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My wife's gonna hit me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    damit this looks good

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Form factor?

Anyone know what the form factor of these will be (e.g. compared to XPE, XRE, MCE)? Scoured the interwebs and can't find an answer...

Troutie, have you had a sample from Cutter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsut4392
    Anyone know what the form factor of these will be (e.g. compared to XPE, XRE, MCE)? Scoured the interwebs and can't find an answer...

Troutie, have you had a sample from Cutter?
    it is being discussed over on CPF and it seems it is quite a large Die a bit like the sst50

Welight said it was 5mm square now a bit of confusion there on whether it is 5 sq mm or the 5mm x 5 mm

I wish had sample requests in for the xpg but never got anything .
    maybe that I only used 1200 plus xp leds this season means I dont qualify for samples .

ready for general release this fall yet again just before the new season for night riding

then there will be the hashed optics before the real ones come out .
    probably need a 60 mm optic to get a good beam

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, will check out the thread on CPF. It's autumn now where I am, and time for some new lights to replace my old triple SSC P4s...

Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    it is being discussed over on CPF and it seems it is quite a large Die a bit like the sst50

Welight said it was 5mm square now a bit of confusion there on whether it is 5 sq mm or the 5mm x 5 mm

I wish had sample requests in for the xpg but never got anything .
    maybe that I only used 1200 plus xp leds this season means I dont qualify for samples .

ready for general release this fall yet again just before the new season for night riding

then there will be the hashed optics before the real ones come out .
    probably need a 60 mm optic to get a good beam

mtbr member
    If its 5 sq mm, 2.2x2.2mm... and can handle 2.8A.... make a good P7 replacement, no cross so tighter beams achievable in sensible sized optics.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    it is being discussed over on CPF and it seems it is quite a large Die a bit like the sst50 ...
    Sounds like this is the Cree version of the SST-50. From the available info, it does sound like the XM will be slightly more efficient. Can't wait to see the data sheets for a real comparison. I know you DIY'ers are stoked about using these but for us torch users the out come should be just as sweet. These will probably replace the SST-50 as the "Must Have" torch drop-in. I figure they should provide another 150 real lumens in a standard 2000ma drop-in torch driver application if what I'm reading is true. Yep, it will probably cost me another $50 when they come available but you can't beat drop-ins for pure upgrade simplicity.

mtbr member
    The thermal resistance is 350% LESS that the XP-G. So heat transfer out of the jucntion is phenomenal, if Max Temp is like the XP-G, you should be able to overdrive these like crazy. At 2.5 A as a P7 upgrade using the same optics? Well, tht's for then. In the mean time we've got the XP-G beam to tame and the S2 is due in about 2 months.

Light freak
    Cree today unveiled their latest product, the XLamp XM LED which delivers light output of 750 lumens at 2-Amps. Equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent,

Along with GE who announced their 40-Watt LED equivalent last week, Cree are joining the LED lighting revolution to make the relatively energy-inefficient and environmentally unfriendly incandescent bulb obsolete.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    nice ... 10 pieces into my beastie and I will be happy :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pepko
    nice ... 10 pieces into my beastie and I will be happy :-)
    Only 10?

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyPuffy
    Only 10?
    Don't encourage him. He'll just end up burning his garage down.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

PRETENDURO
    Hmm, every couple of days I read the latest schtuff over at http://www.ledsmagazine.com/ , and somehow I missed this crazy “160 lumens per watt” business.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.