Thread: Cree optics

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Cree optics

Howdy,

I'm trying to figure out what options there are where to get optics for the Cree XR-Es.

So far i have these: http://www.led-spot.com/data/CRS.pdf

and these: http://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=33

Any opinions on which would be preferable?

I'm building a handle bar "flood" light using two or three (havent yet decided) LEDs and i just have no reference for what any of this actually looks like. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    And then there's these: http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut227

Maybe thatd be the most flexible option...

mtbr member
    Ledil CRS-D for short range light - about 10m - 14* diffused
    Ledil CRS-SS for middle range light - about 15m - 14*
    Ledil CRS-SS for middle range light - about 20m - 12* - strong center spot.

There is no sense for long rage so no 7-8* optics - when you will use these kind of optics you will get so strong spot that you cant see anything outside it.

For 1 led lamps - CRS-D
    For 2 led lamps or headlamps - CRS-D + CRS-SS
    For 3 led lamps 2xCRS-D + CRS-RS for longer range.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I see, thanks for the input.

So do you think then then i should go w/ those optics instead of the Carclos? I was thinking about trying a 25*, a 20*, and a 10* Carclo. just one of each and maybe theyd mix together into a decently wide and long blob of light

I just have no frame of reference on what degree looks like what.

Right now my 3xLuxIII is using the 20mm IMS reflectors. I don't remember if there are any options w/ those reflector and/or what specifically i have, but the beam is quite spotlightish.

mtbr member
    Ok some shots...
    8-10* degree optics

14* CRS-D

SSasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominik.M
    Ledil CRS-D for short range light - about 10m - 14* diffused
    Ledil CRS-SS for middle range light - about 15m - 14*
    Ledil CRS-SS for middle range light - about 20m - 12* - strong center spot.

There is no sense for long rage so no 7-8* optics - when you will use these kind of optics you will get so strong spot that you cant see anything outside it.

For 1 led lamps - CRS-D
    For 2 led lamps or headlamps - CRS-D + CRS-SS
    For 3 led lamps 2xCRS-D + CRS-RS for longer range.
    What is your opinion on a 3 led with 2 - CRS-SS for a uniform long range and 1 CRS-M to fill in the sides?

I really have no clue other than looking at beamshots on the CRS datasheet (http://www.led-spot.com/data/CRS.pdf)

Homer
    Bar: 2x M + 1x D/SS
    Helmet: 1xM + 2x D/SS

5 XR-E Bar: 1xD (middle), 2xSS and 2xM (sides)

That's how I use 'm. You could mix in an RS (if you can take the fugly beam) for some extra punch, or a W for some extra fill.

mtbr member
    grr i hate this answering system ;p

mtbr member
    It should by ok - but everything depends on you personal needs

mtbr member
    I ride fairly tight eastern singletrack with lots of roots, blind corners, and quick ups and downs.

Two CRS-D's for the helmet
    Two CRS-M's for the bar.
    They work awesome together but one or the other by itself will work. With just the bar light, turns are a little more diffcult to see, log crossing are black on the other side, and quick descents can be a little scary. The helmet light allows me to see further but the terrain looks flat and it feels as though the night is encroaching all around me.

Since the helmet light works better by itself, I am considering a triple CREE or quad CREE helmet light and combine the best of both into one light.

BTW, the RS and SS in my opinion are way too narrow, especially for the handlebar.

mtbr member
    Glad I found this thread, I have been thinking the about what to get. has anyone used a oval one before the 6x24? I was thinking one of these with 2 crs-m for a bar light.
    It's go time

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i was thinking the same thing about the wide angle lens for a bar light. I was thinking the 6x24 and a pair of CRS-M's for the bar, and a pair of CRS-SS or or CRS-D's or a combination of the two for the helmet.

What is the word on the carclo lenses btw? I'd actually rather have a round lens (maybe a reflector?) since its easier to machine my own housing for it. ideas?

mtbr member
    I considered the oval myself, but which way would you mount it? Horizontally the top and bottom would be cut off. The narrow band wouldn't work too well with obstacles or ups and downs. Vertically, the sides would be dark. Straight singletrack would be awesome but the trees 12" on either side would be in the dark.

BTW, after looking at the pdf on the LEDIL optics, I would have to say that there is a bigger difference than what appears in the beamshots. The CRS-D is a smooth hot spot while the CRS-M is very floody. The overall light intensity is greatly reduced because it so spread out.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    perhaps run 2 oval optics, one going each direction, with something like a CRS-M (or CRS-W since its got higher intensity away from the hotspot) to fill out the corners. it would be something to play with if someone had a selection of lenses to experiment with. It would probably be a funny looking beam, but for all we know it could work really well once you get out on the trail