mtbr member

This could be interesting or it could fail miserably...aspheric content

Finally got my 2 x XML helmet light finished (thanks Troutie for the bits) and have it set up at the moment with 2 of the cheap eBay optics.
    However, been free on the CNC lathe today so have knocked up some small aspheric lenses to try...as it's a helmet light I'd like some good throw (and I've got a 7-up XML on the bars which is pretty bright for normal use) I had to make them a fair bit smaller than the normal ones so will be interesting to see what they do with the light.
    Here's the lenses: This could be interesting or it could fail miserably...aspheric content-imag1793.jpg
    I'll do some more photo's later and try to do some beamshots (but we all know how rubbish I am at that....)

mtbr member
    that's really cool! What did you machine them out of and how did you get the finish so clear?

mtbr member
    Machined out of round perspex and polished using 1200 wet and dry them polished withe Duraglit polishing wadding. Really pleased withthe performance tonight. I've got springs behind the optic so that I can adjust the beam. Had them wound right in tonight as I'm waiting for a new battery fir my 7up XML. Should be able to wind them out quite a bit to get a really good spot....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: This could be interesting or it could fail miserably...aspheric content

Are they true aspheric or just domed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9 View Post
    Are they true aspheric or just domed?
    Just domed...

mtbr member
    A few more pics. In the spot picture the ceiling is approx 5m high. The panels on the ceiling are 3' x 2'..
    I've got 4.5mm of adjustment which in the 'shining the light against a flat surface 1m away' reduces the beam area by about 75% (1 fully wound out is 1/4 of the one fully wound in)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This could be interesting or it could fail miserably...aspheric content-imag1794.jpg  

This could be interesting or it could fail miserably...aspheric content-imag1797.jpg  

This could be interesting or it could fail miserably...aspheric content-imag1796.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking at your 3rd pic, all I can think of is Dalek

mtbr member
    we will exterminate, exterminate!

Looks like they work a treat, well done. I'm astounded by the quality of the finish, you must have had the lathe taking incredibly fine cuts. I wonder what the difference is optically between an aspheric and a domed lens, as they seem to project the same kind of die image?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Are you willing to make some more of these to sale/trade them? What are the dimensions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster79 View Post
    Are you willing to make some more of these to sale/trade them? What are the dimensions?
    Unfortunately I'm all out of perspex rod.
    These were custom made to suit my light as it's got a clamping ring/o-ring seal set up. They are, basically, a 19mm sperical end (9.5mm radius) with a 3mm x 22mm flat section on the back end. Similar to the ahorton ones but made to suit my light.