help with the zip please

Confused by Cree XPG binning

Ok, time to upgrade a friends lights and she likes the warmer side of the spectrum. I have looked at the cutter site and they have this little thermometer colour scale which you are meant to read in conjunction with the cree binning data. Problem is I can't find the K value of the R5 Cree XP-G's that cutter have listed in the linked data

Ideally she would like something in the 3500k to 5000k colour range.

It will be a double light so I can mix two different bins to get the colour she is after.

Can anyone tell me if this achievable with R5 leds or do I need to drop to an R4 or lower? If so, which of the three that R5 that Cutter have listed should I order?

Thanks

mtbr member
    This might help a bit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Confused by Cree XPG binning-ansiwhite.jpg  

help with the zip please
    Thanks Yeti, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Going by that it would appear the R5 1C is the best choice for output without being to blue and the 5B R4 is better still if she's happy to sacrifice a few lumens, atleast out of Cutters offerings.

Does anyone have either of those bins and able to comment or possible post a pic?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Got a 3 No 5B R4's/4 No 1B or 1C R5 mix on a 7up board. It looks fairly yellow when compared to the harsh blue of a HID but nearly white when compared to car headlamps and halogens. Sometimes the light appears a little pinkish on red/brown coloured soil. Also, my Joystick looks white with subtle green/blue tint, compared to the XPG mix.

I like the cool/neutral mix, for me it easily beats the cold, grey, almost depthless light that a HID provides, but doesn't lose much of the sharpness or clarity that a cooler colour gives.

This post might be helpful, Geir68's outdoor pix may be helpful in deciding. The WH tint is, I think, around 2C/3B on the chart above and his neutral is 5C.

High CRI bikelight?

help with the zip please
    Thanks AliG

I love the colour of the k bin 5C